• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydrogen Peroxide dosing

My 13 gallon nano zoanthid garden is going through a bit of a cycling rough patch with some hair algae. Been doing a lot of reading on H202 dosing for ridding tanks of nuisance algae. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend putting hydrogen peroxide in your fish tank. There are many more conventional safe ways to lower nutrients and starve out algae. None of them work fast. But they do work. Water changes, protein skimmers, Medea reactors, macro algae, turf scrubbers, are a few proven safe methods.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I does H2O2 in my tank on a regular basis with no ill effects. However I do not believe that it will help with algae other than dino.

I have used 35% food grade along with Fleishmans rapid rise yeast to combat dino algae that just didn't want to die......ARGGGhh.. But doing the yeast every other day, and h202 every other day...think I finally kicked it... But the inverts , crabs etc...wont fair with H202

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Run gfo or some other way to lower nitrients, dosing h2o2 isn't worth it

I try to dose peroxide on a daily basis. The only way to get peroxide to kill hair algae is to squirt it directly on it.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Also, for now manually remove as much of the hair algae as possible. Essentially, you will be removing the nutrients from your system. Follow that with water changes

Have you tried purigen? As a preventive maintenance method? I was running that along with chemi pure elite in my old 10gal IM

I have not tried purigen but I will look into it. Which chemipure elite did you use (size)?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use purigen in place of carbon or in addition to?

I was using both purigen and CPE in that small tank as I was not running a skimmer. So that and water changes was what worked for me.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have not tried purigen but I will look into it. Which chemipure elite did you use (size)?

Use the size based on ur tank volume. They do make it for nano tanks

It's a 13.5 but the nano is for 10 gallons. You think two bags is overkill?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It's a 13.5 but the nano is for 10 gallons. You think two bags is overkill?

Like anything, start out slow....too much can also be a bad thing. the CPE has gfo in it plus it's carbon mix son you should be able to ditch your carbon bag once you add this. Place it in a area with some flow. I had mines under my filter sock in the IM

The Santa Monica HOG 0.5 algae scrubber is working wonders on my nano. The hair algae has dissapeared from the dt less than a month. The scrubber is small too, 4" by 6". The 0.5 designation means it can consume the nutrients from 1/2 a frozen cube a day, regardless of tank size.