• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Injury? Disease?

Picked up a yellow wrasse yesterday and didn't notice any discoloring at the LFS, but after acclimation saw discoloring and swelling on the left face area. Didn't notice it during the drip process but the lighting wouldn't be sufficient enough to see it. Behaving normally, picking at rocks, swimming beautifully, striking color.

Wondering what I'm seeing--HLLE? Scrape/injury? Lympho? LOL...the curse of internet searching.
Very peaceful tank-mates, nobody here could have done damage. Noticed this after introducing the fish but I was watching the whole time. Thoughts? Any action necessary? Unfortunately haven't qt'd my new fish yet--I really need to start doing that.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    980.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3042.JPG
    IMG_3042.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Look like it sustained a injury similar to smashing into a rock. My concern is the damage is next to his gill plate which is equivlent to having lung damage and airway damage as a human. If the fish is thriving this is a good sign. I read somewhere that if you do a quick dip in water with a little iodine in it that it helps these wounds heal faster. I would monitor it closely to make sure its healing and not spreading as a infection in that area can be fatal. There are topical ointments out there you can use but lets save those sorta things as last resorts. Also if the mods can move this to the first aid forum this would be a good thread for that forum

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Had a firefish that had some scratch damage, looked just like that.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Since they like to bury in the sand is it possible it hurt itself this way?

Thanks for the reply madreefer. To wrap it up, the fish died a few days later. My guess is it hurt itself during acclimation and irritated it between burying himself and/or stress from new environment....or came in with an infection.
The open area grew from day to day and I never saw it eat, though I had a lot fewer snails than I did before, and it was only in for three days. Unless they all went into hiding. I moved a bunch of small snails (cerith I think) to my fuge when I introduced the wrasse, to keep their services and keep the population alive.
Thanks for the input guys!