• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Iron

Hi all, new to this place have enjoyed the threads so far.

Question do you guys normally test/dose for Iron?

In my prior tank I was using that Red Sea colors kit and found that it was at undetectable levels any 2 different test kits so was dosing pretty heavy according to that program.
Trying to be wiser on this new build, been adding just small amounts mainly only since I already had the eqpt.
Can't find much supporting evidence though that it does anything meaningful and wonder if it is worth the cost, risk, etc not mention it stains my filter socks.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Hi all, new to this place have enjoyed the threads so far.

Question do you guys normally test/dose for Iron?

In my prior tank I was using that Red Sea colors kit and found that it was at undetectable levels any 2 different test kits so was dosing pretty heavy according to that program.
Trying to be wiser on this new build, been adding just small amounts mainly only since I already had the eqpt.
Can't find much supporting evidence though that it does anything meaningful and wonder if it is worth the cost, risk, etc not mention it stains my filter socks.

Welcome. I used the Red Sea color kit in the past and just like you it seemed like it never detected anything. I wouldn't dose high but I got tired of testing and seeing it low. Now my tank was good so I switch from testing the colors and just dosing base on how much cal I dosed. I saw no issues that way.

Thanks yea I totally agree with dosing against the uptake that was one of the best takeaways I learned from Red Sea. But before that I need some uptake :) only got a few really nice softies and frags going so far in this new one; but I do plan to go mixed.
Thanks for the articles too I'm planning to getting some macros and pods going in the fuge but haven't yet. Sounds like that is a better time to take Fe more seriously

Reason I ask is probably a more interesting observation to share;
I've got a non pulsing Xenia that is will be a centerpiece of my DT which is set up in the family room, so i am often close by in the evening to watch the Yankees at the time when I have the dosing pumps set to do their thing.
I'm only dosing small, and by small I'm talk about 15ml into 65 gallons, but every night at that moment the xenia completely packs it in. Every finger closes shop and they won't come back again for 15-20 min. It's amazong the sensitivity , considering for me I thought I was adding something that was not enough amount have any effect. Gave me a renewed caution about chems and additives