• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jenkinson's Aquarium Update

HAve you been to Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Never heard of it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Usually Jersey Shore Aquarium Society's November mtg. is held at JA for a behind the scenes tour. We usually get a good turnout.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Mmm... They have the upstairs room. Know John mentioned JSAS, and know we've done a couple 'behind the scenes', but is it a potential location for a monthly meet.

Better yet, is it a potential position for JSAS and NJRC to have a combined meet? Regardless, I'm looking into that option for the end of summer bash.

And, who knows, if JSAS has better bathrooms...

Jsas's November mtg @ JA is only done once per year, usually a little early 7p to 9:30p because the staff staying for the tour is doing it on their own time - no pay. So you really can't have monthly mtgs there because no one stays behind once they're closed. And can't use upstairs for mtgs. during operating hours.
Where JSAS meets monthly the bathrooms are better only because the room is a banquet rm used for weddings & other events. JSAS & NJRC getting together sounds like a good idea. Next month's jsas mtg.'S topic on SW is basically for beginners. Maybe if someone from NJRC can put together a powerpoint presentation on more advanced Sw/reef topic I could talk to the speaker chairperson - Paul Sherman - to see what month he can schedule. Also jsas will be manning a booth @ the Monmouth County fair this July, maybe njrc can help out promoting the club. If interested ladies & gents let me know by Monday afternoon because I'm attending a Jsas board mtg Monday night & bring up the possibility of sharing the booth at the fair.
IF it's not enough time to discuss I could always bring it up at February board mtg.

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jsas's November mtg @ JA is only done once per year, usually a little early 7p to 9:30p because the staff staying for the tour is doing it on their own time - no pay. So you really can't have monthly mtgs there because no one stays behind once they're closed. And can't use upstairs for mtgs. during operating hours.
Where JSAS meets monthly the bathrooms are better only because the room is a banquet rm used for weddings & other events. JSAS & NJRC getting together sounds like a good idea. Next month's jsas mtg.'S topic on SW is basically for beginners. Maybe if someone from NJRC can put together a powerpoint presentation on more advanced Sw/reef topic I could talk to the speaker chairperson - Paul Sherman - to see what month he can schedule. Also jsas will be manning a booth @ the Monmouth County fair this July, maybe njrc can help out promoting the club. If interested ladies & gents let me know by Monday afternoon because I'm attending a Jsas board mtg Monday night & bring up the possibility of sharing the booth at the fair.
IF it's not enough time to discuss I could always bring it up at February board mtg.
@trio91 @njtiger24 aquariums @SeahorseKeeper @Russell Bennett
What are your thoughts. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Ive also mentioned doing a club meet there with a behind the scenes tour as well as doing a club sponsored and stocked tank for display there with a nice club banner,on it to advertise
Jeremy are u talking about 2 separate things 1. club meet & behind the scenes tour @ JA 2. stocked DT w/banner at the MC fair?

FYI : Bill Loesch VP of JSAS and also owner of ALL About Pets in Sea Girt mall, knows someone at Jenkinson's Aquarium ( thats how we're able to set up a meet & tour in November), Also my wife who is treasurer of JSAS just told me to show the staff @ JA appreciation for staying late for the tour, buys a gift card - $50? - for pizza from a pizzeria nearby ( I can find out name) for them, so if you guys & gals want to do that I can mention it to him at tomorrow night's board mtg. *VERY IMPORTANT : if you decide to do this & JA agrees to give u a tour it would have to be b4 the season starts ( off season they close around 5 or 6pm and then we show up & start at 7p ; 10 min. of club business then the tour). JA will want an approx. head count for attendance - usually they will break up into 2 groups - in order to see how many staff they need to stay - so if you say ur going u need to show up and if your a maybe that will be considered a no. *A couple of years ago we told the director of JA that approx. 20 people will be attending and almost 30 showed up. She was not too happy about that!
As for Monmouth Cty. fair : do u want me to bring that up tomorrow night about NJRC participating? Since we're 501(c)3 the fee for the booth is around 1/2 normal charge ( i think it's $350 for non profit), the booths are pretty big ( 20x20, 25x20?).
Date :
The 2018 Monmouth County Fair is
Wednesday-Sunday, July 25-29!

The booths MUST be manned at all times. I say this because last year JSAS had a booth at the Ocean Cty. fair and we had a hard time manning the booths all day. Sometimes no one was there for half the day. It was determined it was just to far south ( over 1hr. drive for me & the mrs.) and for many others in club so I and a couple other members pushed for the MCF. Plus MCF is so much bigger and attracts more people than OCF. We'll also have a better chance of signing up new members, especially younger ones since there is a big presence of 4H club's. Here's page for vendors : Monmouth County Park System Activities Monmouth County Fair Vendor Information So let me know what you want to do. Don't hesitate to contact me if u have any questions.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Per Jenkinsons. I'm in and happy to cover the staff that helps us out.
If no other NJRC staff replies, as its such short notice, I'll cover the costs myself if need be.
Head count is going to be tough on short notice, but when we did a tour last year we had approx 20. I would guess we would have that approx amount on weekend, but on an off season weeknight it may be safer to expect 10ish.
Call it a go for now with headcount to be determined.

The Fair. This is a great opportunity.
If NJRC is interested in doing the fair and has the budget to split the table I can cover (as far as I'm aware atm) morning to mid day on Wed 25th, Sat 28th, and Sun 29th if it doesn't interfere with that month's NJRC meet.
Also happy to do a proper banner and design and arrange printing of flyers, just need some kind of info on printing budget.
Can work with a few outside sources for some booth perks at the fair and some instant membership approvals (to be discussed) that can be tied into give-aways.
If a go can discuss with JSAS about combined promotions and willing to arrange it if all works out.

JSAS. Would love to help out with the SW meet you guys are having, but SW is more of a discussion rather than a powerpoint, though PP will get the basics across and give a visual. Lets see where this goes. I may be able to throw together a basic PP if required.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Per Jenkinsons. I'm in and happy to cover the staff that helps us out.
If no other NJRC staff replies, as its such short notice, I'll cover the costs myself if need be.
Head count is going to be tough on short notice, but when we did a tour last year we had approx 20. I would guess we would have that approx amount on weekend, but on an off season weeknight it may be safer to expect 10ish.
Call it a go for now with headcount to be determined.

The Fair. This is a great opportunity.
If NJRC is interested in doing the fair and has the budget to split the table I can cover (as far as I'm aware atm) morning to mid day on Wed 25th, Sat 28th, and Sun 29th if it doesn't interfere with that month's NJRC meet.
Also happy to do a proper banner and design and arrange printing of flyers, just need some kind of info on printing budget.
Can work with a few outside sources for some booth perks at the fair and some instant membership approvals (to be discussed) that can be tied into give-aways.
If a go can discuss with JSAS about combined promotions and willing to arrange it if all works out.

JSAS. Would love to help out with the SW meet you guys are having, but SW is more of a discussion rather than a powerpoint, though PP will get the basics across and give a visual. Lets see where this goes. I may be able to throw together a basic PP if required.

I can split the staff cost with you Mark_C.I
Do we have tentative date?

Just got back from JSAS board mtg. SOOOO... 1. JSAS would like to extend a warm welcome to NJRC members and invite them to attend (and hopefully join ) next months meeting - 2/12 - for a SW talk. Paul Sherman will be speaking on SW - fish only; FOWLR and a little on reef tanks. (also any NJRC members attending bring some NJRC applications too) 2. To simplify matters I will be the liason between JSAS & NJRC for now. 3. VP Bill L. needs to speak to tour director @ Jenkinsons Aquarium to find out if they are able to offer a behind the scenes tour between Feb. and end of April. However we discussed tonight that we will 'probably' be having another tour @ JA for either the October or November JSAS monthly mtg. ( 2nd Monday ) and Bill thinks it would be a great idea if NJRC members could join us then. If NJRC members still want to go for a tour in next couple of months let me know and I will tell Bill to check with JA. 4. JSAS spring auction is for Sunday March 11, 2018 ( pre-registration will be up on the website shortly ), club would very much appreciate for NJRC members to attend and donate/sell SW fish & corals (frags?)- split is 60/40 if pre-reg. is used, walk-ins day of auction 50/50. 5. The Monmouth Cty. Fair : JSAS would be happy to share a booth with NJRC ; my wife - Viv , jsas treasurer - says February will be the start to reserving a booth online, *note price is approx. $315 but nonprofits get a "discount" ( not sure how much) however there is only a limited number of "non profit discounts" allowed so 1st come 1st served. JSAS will have new membership applications, DT, freebies, banner, etc... NJRC is welcome to do the same. Earlier I mentioned booth size - 20x20 - well I was wrong. Standard booth is 10x10. Now I don't know what the discounted price would be until Viv reserves one but if we need extra room we can try for a "double booth". Once everything is "set in stone" we can come up with a schedule about manning each clubs area. *I'm not positive but I think 7/25 & 26 is 5pm - 10( or 11pm), Friday/Sat - 11am - 11pm, Sun. - 11a - 10p?
Any questions/comments feel free to contact me. * Julie since ur treasurer of NJRC & if you would like to communicate with Viv on money matters her email is : stigmor@aol.com . Just let her know ur from NJRC. I think thats about it for now. Looking forward to discussing more of this at the mtg. on the 27th.
*One more thing : Mark C. speaker chair - Paul Sherman said having an "advanced" PP presentation on reefing for maybe the fall of 2018 or January's mtg. 2019 would be a great idea!

Just a thought.. As much as I love the idea of clubs and our shared interest in social gatherings perhaps discussion of other clubs and suggestions of recruitment,can be kept to its own forum. As not to confuse new comers to our club who read threw the forums especially since though the clubs mentioned lately have one thing in common fish tanks we are 99% salt water specialized.
I dont want this to seem anti other clubs its just I like my forums ower own club focused unless labeled other wise especially since this is a new year for our club and we are trying to put things in place to better provide for our own members.
Just my opinion. Any thoughts?
Also John thank you for helping set up a meet and greet between the clubs I think that's awesome but I do believe there are certain arrangements to follow and discussions of such,things as financial payments for booths, selling of merchandise fish coral ect.. Should probably go threw the board of directors first be for the open forum. I don't mean this as discouragement I only wish to make sure these kind of things are done in proper manner and forum

Last edited: