Joel's 175 Gallon Re-build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jkapit, Dec 23, 2015.

1. jkapit

jkapit Active Member NJRC Member

I picked up a few more corals on the weekend..

A really nice Wellsophillia from Tropiquarium
    4 acro frags from ACC
    1 froggspawn and Zoa frag from ACC... they all seem happy and acclimated..

If these do well, I should have my tank stocked by end of winter. So far so good.

Here are some pics...

Wellsophillia...
    7BA30ADF-9886-4A72-B818-D545911EE332.jpeg

Frogspawn..
    73F67866-4C94-442F-9224-5AA71C5A75AA.jpeg

Acro
    943B2A40-B2A1-4077-A7CC-77E126C8658E.jpeg

Bird’s nest
    086C6ECC-C90C-463A-B1D8-F194C5071305.jpeg

Some type of Acro
    94DE2DC2-A6FD-4675-BED0-3FB68D7328FA.jpeg

Zoa
    77960161-C3B5-4ADA-B38A-DBEEDAA40F6E.jpeg

left side of the tank...
    DA80DAD6-642B-4A1D-B408-BD041B37C63E.jpeg

Right side...
    FF76103E-C015-4522-A94C-3AAC00A703E1.jpeg

njtiger24 aquariums, mnat and myrjon like this.
  2. trio91

trio91 Director at Large Board of Directors NJRC Member

That welso looks huge. Looks great bud

njtiger24 aquariums and jkapit like this.
  3. mnat

mnat Officer Emeritus Officer Emeritus NJRC Member

Build looks really nice and great coral selection.

njtiger24 aquariums and jkapit like this.
  4. RiverSwami

RiverSwami Member NJRC Member

Thank you SO much for making this post! I never would have considered this issue as being a culprit, but I believe this may be at the very root of my tank problems. I have done everything recommended to keep my tank within specified parameters. Yet, corals continue to struggle. When the skimmer began to function erratically, I noticed small sponges cropping up on the rock, and other inhabitants just seemed happier. When I replaced the bad part in the skimmer and it ran consistently, things regressed. Who would have thought?

Sent using Tapatalk from my shoephone while inside the cone of silence.

jkapit likes this.
  5. jkapit

You are very welcome. At this point, I am totally convinced my LPS corals were starving due to lack of Nitrates. I am still dialing in my KNO3 dosing and have witnessed another interesting thing.

I’ve had a couple instances where my KNO3 dosing went offline, the nitrates went back to zero and and I started to see cyano all over the tank and my hammer starting to recede. Once I got The KNO3 back online the cyano stopped growing and the hammer looks happier,

As I read on a number of other forums the general consensus is that zero nitrates promote cyano, dinoflagellates, and starve good algae and corals. I have to agreed with all of this.

I am still new to dosing KNO3, but happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my knowledge.

6. jkapit

Time for a monthly update and a few things to report.

All in all things are doing well, all SPS are showing growth but have run into a few snags...

1)I noticed my hammer starting to shrink, recede. It turned out I stopped dosing KNO3 by accident and my nitrates were zero for about two weeks.
    2)I bumped the nitrates back up to .5ppm. It was as high as 1ppm and got a cyano bloom. The hammer bounced back nicely.
    3)After two weeks and adjusting the KNO3 and increasing my fuge lighting period to 12 hours it has mostly disappeared.
    4)seeing a fairly substantial bloom with green turf algae, not happy about that but having some algae In the tank is to be expected so starting to treat it with Vibrant. I also stopped a weekly dose of amino acids figuring the cyano and turf algae feed on it.
    5)So between keeping my phosphates at .03 and nitrates at.5 Plus using vibrant I should be able to keep it at bay
    6)The biggest challenge now is my two black and white clownfish are being bullied and chased by a pair of orange clownfish to the point where they hide all day. They do come out to feed, but I will need to take some action on this.
    7)Since I have 4 Orange clowns, going to take the worst bully out and see if the others can get along.

Here is the latest video.....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM
  7. trio91

trio91 Director at Large Board of Directors NJRC Member

May need to sump the clown (s) causing the trouble.

So you're dosing "nopox", vibrant and aminos correct? Are you conssidering turning your fuge light down even further?

8. jkapit

yes, the clowns need a time out for sure. I’ve been told they may be establishing their pecking order so going to wait and see. I make sure the black and white clowns get a chance to eat and maybe they will work things out. They are pretty smart at darting back into their caves where the Orange clowns don’t fit.

Not dosing NOPOX, it is just a solution with KN03.

I still think I have not dialed in my KNO3 dosing, GFO, and fuge. Dealing with zero nitrates, higher phosphates, then raising KNO3 and phosphates dropping to .02. Now a cyano and turf algae bloom. That’s a lot going on. So just trying to adjust fuge lighting schedule, KN03, GFO use to get some stability. Assuming I can get those values stable the algae should settle down. Just dosing Vibrant to prevent the turf algae from taking over.