• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joys of DIY project

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I been wanting to get an ATO working with my controller. I have a JBJ but for some odd reason it been acting up. I decided to try and turn one of the float switch into a float switch for my controller. I had to GPIO pin to use the built in pulldown resistor to prevent false reading. I then added code to read a python script every second. It will display "add water" or "Don't Add Water" on my touch screen. I plan on making this section a little better looking and more information (such as what equipment is on/off/enable/disabled/etc...). I will run this way for a little to make sure the code is working and when I have time/money I will work on adding a lift pump and have it run correctly.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 3.47.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 3.49.02 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Had to take my youngest to a birthday party today but got some work in today. First thing I did was find a bash script that will check for wifi connection and if not connected force it to reconnect. It will run as a cron job and set to run every min. Second I added more to my system status panel. I made an icon for my lights (black when off and green when on) This indicate the status of the outlet the light is plugged into. I need to mess around with a little more (seeing how I have two lights) but this is a working concept right now. I hope to create icons for my ATO and ATO reservoir.

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 5.54.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 5.54.11 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I was not a big fan of what I was using to make the charts. It took a long time to load (about 17.5 seconds). Doing some searching I found what seems to be a better way. I am now using javascript/html5 to build the chart. The page now loads in about 13 seconds. I also put the dotted lines as indicator of my high/low set limits so by the chart I can see when it goes over (yes I still get the text alerts). Still playing around to get the right look but so far seems to be much smoother than what I was using. For those who might be wondering I was using jpgraph and now I am using plotly.js

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.55.42 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I just changed the chart on my report page. My temp log every 1hr so between the start, Jan 1 2017 and today there about 6,383 data points. My old chart took a good amount of time to load. This new chart load in less then half the time. Also I have to option to dive deep into the chart without reloading the page.

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 11.04.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 11.16.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 11.17.14 AM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So with limited space it time to change up my wiring. My brother had an extra cableguard box. The plan is to mount the box to the side of my stand and then try and figure a way to get the screen on the outside put leave plenty of room for the door the open.
IMG_20171126_102116.jpg IMG_20171126_102136.jpg IMG_20171126_102157.jpg

Will post back as the project goes. Need to be done by Tuesday (when the tree gets here)

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Screen is now mounted. Only took two trips to the hardware store and still not return with what I needed so I need to make some changes from my normal design but it works. Now just need to think about ordering a replacement screen but that will def be after the holidays.
IMG_20171127_122528.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So I changed out my graphs with the new one. On the water level one the dotted lines are my 'warning high/low' and the solid grey line is my target number.
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 8.36.00 AM.png

I am also having an odd issue. I am getting a false temp alert but I only get it at midnight. I will have to look into it as soon as I have some time