• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joys of DIY project

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
so I am off work this week. I was hoping to work on my project but have not really been in the mindset. Today I did check to see if I could solve the false alerts that I am getting at midnight. Not sure why but I get false reports but only at midnight. I would assume it one of my scripts that run but its not every night. I did just check all my scripts today and make sure there no errors with them. Will see in the next couple of days.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
well no errors in my scripts but still got false alert at midnight. Need to see what is going on here. Going to try and dig into this today; unless the wife has other plans for me lol
Screenshot_20171228-091002.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
What's that high temp?
Its a false report. 185 and 32 are temps these sensors use during bootup. It might be a sign that the sensor is going but I just find it odd that it only does this at midnight. My system polls the temp every min and logs it every hour but I only get these false alets at midnight. I just checked my alert log and this started about a month ago and I can't recall if I changed anything around that time. Also it doesn't happen every night as you can see from the screen shot it happen on Sunday and then last night

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So after digging into my scripts to see about this alert issue I came to the conclusion that my alerts need to be cleaned up. I am first going to work on getting the admin section cleaned up with different alert types, enable/disable each alert and so on. I then will work on the scripts to run the alerts.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.41.35 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok well just couldn't get in the mindset, vacation mind, to make any changes yesterday. Still trying to figure out the false alert. I disabled one section of the code but still got an alert last night. Today I disabled another section. If that doesn't work I will disable the alert and run more tests on the code/sensor

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
still digging into the false alert. I thought it might had been overloading the pi so I killed some options which bought the load way down but still got the false report. Last night (from around 8:00pm until 8:00am) I ran a new script which is almost like my alert one but it just prints out the temps. I checked that and not one false report but I still got one from my alert script. I am going to let my test script run all day today and see if I get anymore false reports but I am thinking my alert script needs to be cleaned up

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So for Christmas I got a gift card. I ordered some stuff in hope to be able to get my RW4s to work with my pi controller. I will keep everyone up-to-date on that as well as other changes to the project.

IMG_20180102_171842.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So lately I been working on a new program for my raspberry pi controller. My plan was to have what my touch screen display be the same format/program that I can access from my computer and/or phone. After seeing performance issues I figured I would start working on a more light weight code. My pi was running CPU around 95+% all the time which was causing the system to run slow and lockup at time. The main issue being that it was running chromium which is a hog for resources.
Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.30.03 PM.png

I been slowly working on a python program to replace just what is displayed on the pi screen. I will still be able to access the web park from my phone and/or computer. After running into some issues I have a base code loaded on the pi and its doing much better. Still more work that needs to be done just to get to where I was but its a start.
IMG_20180205_192911.jpg

Also python is much easier on the pi as well so the system is running better over all
Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 4.56.06 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
WTF. this tank was to be my 'simple' tank. Let it run with little to no issues. Well then I decided to change things out and my levels dropped so I lost new SPSs. So I been working on bring my levels back up and I finally felt like I was getting it under control and bam this morning my controller **** the bed. Not sure what happen but it will not boot. Looking into it

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok. I got the system working a little. I still got tons of work to do with rebuilding the system which kinda needed to be done anyway. I have my top-of alerts working. That is good for now and I will work on getting everything else in due time

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok still having some odd issues since redoing this. For some odd reason it seems to lock up/drop wifi. I am looking into this but in the mean time I have the following working

• ATO notice - the icons change base on if I need to add water or not. Working on adding a pump to go with it but still need more backend stuff first
  • Temp reading - it reads the current temp but doesn't log it anywhere yet
  • I added a butto, that's not on the touch screen, that if held for about 5secs will reboot the system.
IMG_20180416_185508.jpg IMG_20180416_185454.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well after trying to figure out where the 'power' issue is with my current set up and a crack screen. I decided to order a new pi, new memeory card, and new screen to give this a whole new start. I really miss my tank but I know right now its for the best so I will just dive into my pi project hoping to have it working by the time I am ready to get a tank up and running again.