• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Joys of DIY project

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So today I been working slowly on my "lights" macro. I have it so if you click on the button a window popup with options. I will work on getting those options to work as well as a way to modified the presets.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.12.16 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
The lighting macro is about 99% done. I have it so when the window opens it see the correct status of the lights (off, running on schedule[auto], or on) Also I have the acclimate button working. Currently this button will disable my A150s for 7 days and then turn them back on; the system will check at bootup, in case of a power failure, to make sure the lights either stay in the acc mode or return to normal operation. I left the option in my code to control my 360 once I get that wired up. I also made it so the days and equipment can be modified on the fly (which I will work on soon). I can run these option from a computer, phone, or my touch screen.

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 4.13.58 PM.png

The macro button will also indicate what status the lights are in (orange would mean its not on auto)

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 4.14.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 4.22.45 PM.png

I will work on the Presets option and the sump next. The Presets I am still working out in my head because I want them to be user editable.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The lighting macro is about 99% done. I have it so when the window opens it see the correct status of the lights (off, running on schedule[auto], or on) Also I have the acclimate button working. Currently this button will disable my A150s for 7 days and then turn them back on; the system will check at bootup, in case of a power failure, to make sure the lights either stay in the acc mode or return to normal operation. I left the option in my code to control my 360 once I get that wired up. I also made it so the days and equipment can be modified on the fly (which I will work on soon). I can run these option from a computer, phone, or my touch screen.

View attachment 16751

The macro button will also indicate what status the lights are in (orange would mean its not on auto)

View attachment 16752
View attachment 16753

I will work on the Presets option and the sump next. The Presets I am still working out in my head because I want them to be user editable.
Can you set the lights to go off if the tank runs hot? Maybe add a code for that to other non essential equipment as well in case of an emergency

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Can you set the lights to go off of the tank runs hot? Maybe add a code for that to other non essential equipment as well in case of an emergency

Yes I could do that but *knock on wood* I have yet to see my lights affect my water temp. I have thought about putting options in to shut down the system when issues come up. I did buy a water sensor I just have not wired it up but the idea was if that detect water it would shut my whole system down. When I get a house I am going to look about putting a smart plug in and then put one of those Nest smoke/co2 alarms above the tank. If that goes in alarm state it would kill power to my system.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well 7 days passed and my lights turned on at the correct time they should. I am liking this new option because I'm sick of putting reminders on the calendar to plug my lights back in. I did find some issues with my maintenance macro so I have to look into it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
oh no. The system was handling the daily on/off of the A150s. The Kessil controller is handling the A360. When I would get a new coral(s) I would disable the A150s and put the A360 in acclimate mode for 7 days. Once the 7 days was up I would enable the A150s again. Now I have the ACC built in for my A150s so all I have to do is click that button and they are disabled for 7 days and auto turn back on. When I get some more hardware for my system I am going to include the 360 into the controller and those options.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So my JBJ ATO isn't working too well. I am now going to look into adding it to my system. I already started some test code. My next step is to purchase some float switches, a 8 channel relay (to upgrade from 4 outlets to 8 outlets), and then wired everything up. My idea is to have the system check every second and it the ato is running it will turn the outlet with the lift pump on. Once it at a safe level it will turn that outlet off. I am going to put in a safe guard in and have it so the outlet is only one for a set time and then will auto turn off; I just need to figure out the timing on that when its time.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 7.28.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 7.29.44 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So in prep to get my ATO working I coded this add-on section. Right now only 'ATO' does its job but I am going to work on the temp, pH (down the road), and salinity. What this does is either run the python script for those sensor or closes depending on enable/disable status.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.05.35 AM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
You got to be freaking kidding me!!!! Was putting up a curtain rod for my mom and the end cap came off and landed right on the touch screen :mad:. At least the screen still works.

IMG_20171005_165405.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
just playing around a little. Decided that this one panel on my dashboard looked bare to me so I added some system stats. I still need to clean it up but it displays how long the system has been up since the last reboot. I also getting the temp of the pi as well; I might code it if the temp reach a high level to send an alert out. This information is update every second

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 11.07.15 AM.png