• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Laptop help

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My wife's laptop was working fine last night. Today the screen just stays black when booting up. I tried common trouble shooting such as removing battery, ensured all cards were secure, etc. Once I was able to see the Gateway logo but that was it. I tried F8 for safemode but nothing. I assume HD is shot. Any ideas?

Thanks

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
do a power reset. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Now reinstall battery. After it is restarted, let it stay on for 30 minutes to see if it is running an app

Does she have the laptop set to download Window updates? If yes, tell her to not do that.

did you try connecting an external monitor? If the external monitor comes up black too, then it maybe the motherboard

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
do a power reset. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Now reinstall battery. After it is restarted, let it stay on for 30 minutes to see if it is running an app

Does she have the laptop set to download Window updates? If yes, tell her to not do that.

I tried that no luck. I do agree it might be a Windows update as she had 1 a few days ago and no the PC stopped working.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
How long have you left it running without touching it? Possible that windows app is still finishing config.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
it did update a few days and worked until this morning.
I have it running now and will what happens.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First off you should download Window Updates. If you leave you pc unpatch your opening your pc to hackers even more than already. Any computer that connect to the internet should be fully patch.

Lets take this steps at a time. First when you hit the power button do you see anything? Anything on the screen? Any lights on the side/top? Does the fan turn on/spin?

What model laptop is it (full model number)?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
First off you should download Window Updates. If you leave you pc unpatch your opening your pc to hackers even more than already. Any computer that connect to the internet should be fully patch.

Lets take this steps at a time. First when you hit the power button do you see anything? Anything on the screen? Any lights on the side/top? Does the fan turn on/spin?

What model laptop is it (full model number)?

Yes fan spins and hear hard drive start. Nothing on the screen.
Two blue lights in front 1 for power other is looks like a light bulb with lines around it. Hard to tell as It's faded.
It's a Gatewsyr NE56R49u

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mark try this

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-10-24 17-47-09.png
    Screenshot from 2017-10-24 17-47-09.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 8

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
here are your status lights. The "light bulb" indicate its getting power and is turned on. What are the battery indicator and HDD indicator doing? (solid/blinking/off)?
Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 5.48.46 PM.png

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I only have the power n battery. Nothing else.
Occasionally, I can get HDD to go orange but it's no easy task. Then the HDD goes off.

Ok seems like the issue is the hard drive. That light should be blinking crazy when it booting. My suggestion is to pull the hard drive out and try booting it up. The laptop should beep at you saying no boot device found.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Had a feeling was the HD. I used to work on 8086 n 8088 desktops never laptops. I know showing my age here.

@Myron if you could just check and confirm be great. Will pm you for availability.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Are you getting any display at all?

If not it Sounds like a display issue to me which normally means the motherboard is shot.