• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Laptop help

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Still think your issue is your hard drive due to no activity on the hard drive light. If the video card was dead the hard drive light would still be active. Also is it windows 10? If so Windows 10 uses fastboot so you may not see anything on the screen as it try to load the OS. If you pull the hard drive you should at least get an error message saying there no boot device

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This happened to me when I upgraded an older computer from 7 to 10. 10 is not compatible with that computer. Ur going to have reset it back to old windows version.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
It came with Win8 so it can run Win10. Win10 runs better than Win8 mainly on older/slower PCs.

Also it would had updated to Win10 awhile ago not just recently.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
That's good. I would still run a test on the hard drive. If you know the make of the hard drive you can download free test tools to see if the drive might be going

First thing I would do now that it's up and running is back up my files ASAP (before it freezes again). Then, at least you won't lose anything if you have to wipe your laptop and start over or replace it or the HD. Run a deep scan for viruses and malware (Avast, Malwarebytes, Bit Defender, etc.) since you ran it without updating with patches for quite a while and Win10 has known vulnerabilities. Also, check your credit reports for unwanted activity. Ugh.

Sent from my shoephone while inside the cone of silence using Tapatalk

If you are a GMAIL user I would get google drive to sync all your files/photos/etc ASAP. That laptop will most likely stop again. While I agree with the scanning for malware, that can tax a machine pretty hard, so backup backup backup. Did I mention backup? This way when you get a new computer you just have to sync google drive back to your new laptop, which is all automated.