• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting suggestions

So guys I am alittle out,of my depth here so to speak.. Being this is my first time taking on a project of this size I need a little advice..
My 90 gallon tank is extreemly deep in fact I have to get on a ladder to feed the fish and get into the tank to work on,things.. Problem is I cant reach the tank bottom with out a snorkel . so being I am in,the spirit of moving up and advancing my skill my next purchase is lighting that can handle everything from Softies.. To sps not kill the bank with the electric bill, can penetrate down to the sand bed and roughly can be 250 or cheaper. I dont care if its name brand or if its chinese black box.. Led or t5 or metal halide or all of the above but it must be controlable.
What suggestion can you give me ? Have you seen anything online for sale you can point me too? Or prehapes you got something laying around your feeling nice about to sell for a good price? Please let me know

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
T5's could be your best bet, tried n true and will grow anything with great spread

The draw back will be the bulb replacement

with an open top heat shouldn't be an issue and fixtures can be brought on the cheap

Last edited:
With a budget of $250 your best bet would be 2 or 3 Chinese black boxes with some Home Depot timers to turn them on and off anything that's WiFi controllable it's going to cost you more than $250. Or maybe someone got a 48 inch 6 or 8 bulb T5 fixture laying around they would sell you but that would probably be in the $300 range.