• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Loose collection of disparate questions for the club

Where did we land on a club meeting for nov?

Does anyone in or near Toms River / Howell have extra cheato?

Why does my skimmer make gurgling nosies? Stated only in the last three months. Before this it was silent

Reefcleaners is not shipping till next week, and I’m traveling next week. Where can I pick up similarly priced snails and such critters in the area. I can’t see spending 2.50 or more for a snail when RC has them for pennies.

I’m interested in getting a small schouling fish. But the ones I’ve been made aware of, bengi for example, are terribly ugly. Any other options?

I saw mention of a holiday party. What the deal with that?

to BOD. I’d like to be more involved. How can I help

I have to create a water change / rodi system that will feed the tank from the basement. The space In the basement i need to use is some 40 feet, a different story and a 90 degree turn from the fish room. How do I even start to tackle this. Anyone with experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I went to ocean gallery last week and got snails 10 for 10. same as hermits. also, chromis are nice schooling fish. easy to keep as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You asked, "Why does my skimmer make gurgling nosies? Stated only in the last three months. Before this it was silent"

You may be able to reduce it on one side by closing the valve so that it is 0nly suction, with no break in the suction line. Or, if it is already closed that far, then opening it a little may increase flow rate by reducing the amount needed in the overflow. Yours may be harder to tune with 2 overflows.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Cheato needs a good light source to survive. I dropped the bags of cheato to you at the meet. At tank move they were pretty much dead and were probably leeching phosphates into the system, but, with the size of your tank, the phosphates probably weren't enough to cause any concern.
This is another lighting situation. Cheato (or any macroalgae) doesn't need T5 or LED lighting, but it does need considerable direct light, from whatever source, for 8-10 hours a day, preferably a few inches above an area of the sump intended to house cheato.
You can go as simple as a $7 HD or Ls clamp (plastic) with an 80w twisty bulb, clamped to the side of the cheato area of the sump, 6' above waterline. Stuff will grow like weeds.
Chris had concerns with growing, gave him same advice and now he's giving away/throwing stuff out by the ton.
So much so I can't get rid of mine, which I have a ton of (again).

PS...
JOE! Say it aint so. Start a new thread (if you havent already). Chempure? Carbon/phosban? Curious.