• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Max's Red Sea Reefer 170. (A Grand Journey of Discovery, Aggravation, and General Buffoonery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so as a quip recap to what has been missed while I was away:

I was introduced to a world of algae scrubbing by a certain member on here. Ehhhh we shall call him Trio91 for the purpose of this tale.
He got an algae scrubber from Santa Monica's Filtration and stuck it in his tank.

For those that do not know, it is a little black box with a very hard surface inside and a red led. You blow bubbles through it via an air pump and it grows algae to outcompete any that would be in your reef tank. Here is a link which has them all:
Welcome to Santa Monica Filtration - www.Santa-Monica.cc

Ehhh basically after seeing his tank algae free I went and instantly spent 100$ and got one in hopes and dreams of having no algae.

Trial 1: ran it for about 2 weeks got pissed off it was spitting bubbles and causing salt creep took it off line

Trial 2: ran it for 2 weeks had a little growth but most of the growth still in my tank got pissed off because was convinced it was messing with my skimmer because all of sudden one day the skimmer wouldn't turn on so took it off line.

Trial 3: decided I spent 100$ will not let that go to waste will stick it on damn right and it will grow algae also damn right. Skimmer turned on but started overflowing so got pissed off, took it off line again.

Trial 4: skimmer overflowed without it so got pissed off at skimmer for wasting my time and making me blame the algae scrubber and took the skimmer off line. We shall see how this turns out. Also raised the scrubber out of the water by 1/2 inch so bubbles are now contained inside.

Mandatory FTS:

9aab4fc17e96b64efc07801a7339d863.jpg
yes that little red patch is beginning of cyano because my POS skimmer wasn't doing its ****ty job.

Algae scrubber that I currently like again:

7f4c32ca2f05d02b8c8335fd92372b37.jpg

Also a skimmer I bought from Paul on here which is the Bubble Magnus curve 5 and is awesome.
f1a8108b7e609a1be5e4f1faef51aae3.jpg

Will have more updates soon beginning the documented journal of Trial 4 tonight with pictures of progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Algae scrubber experiment #4 Progress report 1.

It's been 2 weeks and we have beginning of growth!

42acd7c7c5fba3ac0ebc6d0f009466c9.jpg

57b9751f3a9bb2c65a02143ae1eeedfc.jpg

Of course my display has much more exciting growth to my great dismay... but such is life

...hopefully the growth transfers over

... hopefully

Due to the sabotage efforts of my old skimmer and my generous feeding I am now being assisted by red slime algae. Now it is only so far in a corner of the tank on the sand. I have turkey basted what I cold during water changes but it seems to come back with vengeance 24 hours later.

I am faced with 2 options:

A. Fight the cyano

B. Throw the tank out of the window into a passerby and start over.

Being that I am leaning towards option A, any ideas gentlemen on how to handle this scourge?

Algae scrubber experiment #4
Progress report 2:

ad96bb7010b23d3cdef59253cd62b2bb.jpg

Algae scrubber experiment #4
Progress report 3:

cd3bfb9c65a44d9abc6afc31806e822e.jpg

Not bad. I cleaned it out as per instructions and put it back in. We will see what happens.

Also my battle with cyano is for the most part over so I'm glad I did not throw the tank into a passerby.....

Urgent matter:

I noticed some of my prized purple coralline algae has turned white in spots on my rocks. I do not have an urchin.

Before I take the said rocks and throw them at an innocent pedestrian... any ideas??

Thank you sirs. And madams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urgent matter:

I noticed some of my prized purple coralline algae has turned white in spots on my rocks. I do not have an urchin.

Before I take the said rocks and throw them at an innocent pedestrian... any ideas??

Thank you sirs. And madams.

Could be calcium build upon your rock. Are you dosing Alk/Calc and things are out of balance?

Alright guys. This is the last update on this post. Unfortunately the reef gods have not smiled upon me.
Instead of words of joy and happiness I bring words of sadness and despair.

The tank has officially been shut down due to an unforeseen crash that I still can not explain.

However I also bring words of hope as I have decided to start a new build.

I am in the process of selling the current setup and will be trying my hand at a shallow reef.

So ladies and gentlemen, thank you for following my build from before and rejoice. For this new build thread I will start soon will be even bigger, better, and will have even MORE aggravation, discovery and absolutely 1000% more buffoonery!!!

... and random beer bottles incorporated into my build.

... or cans.

Alright guys. This is the last update on this post. Unfortunately the reef gods have not smiled upon me.
Instead of words of joy and happiness I bring words of sadness and despair.

The tank has officially been shut down due to an unforeseen crash that I still can not explain.

However I also bring words of hope as I have decided to start a new build.

I am in the process of selling the current setup and will be trying my hand at a shallow reef.

So ladies and gentlemen, thank you for following my build from before and rejoice. For this new build thread I will start soon will be even bigger, better, and will have even MORE aggravation, discovery and absolutely 1000% more buffoonery!!!

... and random beer bottles incorporated into my build.

... or cans.

Let me know when you are ready for the come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.