• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My build... From Start to.....????

Hello All NJ Reefers,

After 9 years, I'm going to start in the hobby again. Late 90's had a 75gal show, but the sump room was my pride and joy. Close to 500 gallons running through the system, multiple grow tanks, mainly SPS. Broke that down in 2000, life/kids/work got in the way. 2007 found me back at it with a 20gal nano, which was coming along nicely but a home move ended that project. So here I am in 2017 with grand plans but taking it slow. Not sure what plans will end up being reality, just a few short weeks ago, I was thinking 40gal, now I'm thinking 150 gallon custom aquarium. Time will tell.

Got the project started with equipment I still had laying around. Eheim pumps, a bermuda bps-3c, powerheads, old salt, not sure how many pounds of 'live' now dead rock I've had in storage in the BRUTE garbage cans. Purchased some new heaters, and boom... I've got myself a "tank" and "Sump"

So this is what I've come up with to cure the rock.

The rock is in a 32 gal BRUTE CAN I've got a shrimp down there somewhere kicking off the nitrogen cycle. I've plumbed that twice over, with a modified single herbie overflow and a secondary overflow. If power gets shut down the herbie style overflow, self primes. If by chance it doesn't then the second overflow picks up the slack, but a dozen or so tests, seems like this is a winner and no chance what-so-over of an overflow... or wet basement.

The sump is a 20 gal BRUTE, which I created a PVC/EGGCRATE table in to place the PS and the pump. Underneath that is the return pump. Once we run through the nitrogen cycle, we're going to purchase a few pounds of fresh rock, throw it on the top. Place 4 - T5's run by an ICECAP 660 over the can and get that rock "Alive" again.

That PVC contraption sitting on top of the rock, is a self made media reactor filled with carbon, water being pushed through at about 100gph. (Shrimp making smelly water... Need to keep the smell down before the wife balks on my plans.)

Next steps, drill the float valve in the sump and hook up a fresh water RO/DI for replacement.

Excited to play chemist again, we'll get the water parameters spot on and I'm betting within 6-8 weeks I'm going to be growing a can full of beautiful pink coralline.

In the meantime, start planning and pricing out a 60"x 24"x 24" custom aquarium which will be view-able from both front and back. (2nd picture) Looks to be a prime spot for a display with hidden sump under/behind the wall.

Mike

PS- I live in Gillette, NJ. Hopefully, someday I can make an event and meet some other local reefers.

110x2ra.jpg
[/IMG]
110x2ra.jpg

27zz1ix.jpg

Day 50 -

Zero Ammonia
Zero Nitrites
<10 Nitrates
Zero Phosphate
4.5 Alk meq/l
500+ Calcium

Added light and had a 5-6 day diatom bloom, which has already disappeared.
Light Green haze starting to form.

Throwing in a cleaner package on Thursday (Snails and a few hermits) along with some macro algae pieces.

Don't think I want to throw a fish in a garbage can, so I'm dosing ammonia couple drops every other day to keep things fed.

Give me another few weeks and I'm hoping to see pink spots starting to form.

Long build... as I'm still up in the air what direction I'm going in. May just grab a 40 breeder and start propagating, while I continue to purchase supplies for a true display.

Been a little over a year since last post... So much has been done...

Built a custom stand to accommodate a 180g tank
wqo80o.jpg

Then I build a custom sump out of a 40b

1109kbs.jpg
180g tank.

Late 2017, a $9000 surgery for my dog, put any plans towards this effort on hold...

So I ended up converting my planned 29g quarantine system in to full blow nano.

o9ih4k.jpg

Above photo of the 29'r. Hate that disco effect from the radions. Diffuser's already installed on the 120.

23 days ago water started flowing through a standard 120g which I drilled and installed a modular marine overflow. 29'r broken down and becomes the quarantine system.

2mye0xu.jpg

Since the above photo was taken... did a little bit of aquaplaning... Also placed diffusers on the radions.

Planning on adding more rock before I really spend time with a 'final' aquascaping effort.

25gs6br.jpg

Above photo playing with radion presets... been running CORAL AB+ and photos just come out too blue.

Once I finalize my rock work, I'll need to get my hands on a PAR meter to understand how the dual radions are lighting the tank. Already know, I'm going to want to add two more XR15 Pro's eventually... or maybe I'll supplement with T5's.

Time will tell, for know all my corals seem to be happy in the 120.