• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My tank thread

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have a 54 gallon corner mix reef tank. This tank has been running a little over a year. I have been doing saltwater for just under a year and a half (started with a 36g before moving to the 54).

20160401_191055.jpg

Equipment:
Lighting
1 - Kessil A360WE connected to a Kessil controller
2 - Kessil A150W Deep Ocean Blues connected to my DIY controller

20160405_204428.jpg

Sump
* Eshopp 75 sump (I believe)
* Reef Octopus 110SSS skimmer
* Finnex 300watt titantum heater
* Rio return pump
* Bulf Reef Supplie Dual GFO and Carbon reactor
* JBJ ATO with a Tom lift pump

20160404_182436.jpg

Power Heads:
1 - Jabeo RW8
1 - Jabeo RW4
they run in combine mode

DIY Controller
This is a on going build. I am using a RaspberryPi. The Pi host a internal website which I can access via any internet enable device. I currently have a GUI which I can enter in information, set schedules, and view due maintenance/ other information. I have four power outlets connected that can be controlled via the interface. I also have a temp sensor that display the current temp which polls the temp every min. The information is displayed on a 7in touch screen (but the touch part isn't working at this time). The screen shows the current temp, that day's max/min temps, and a graph which displays the last 24 hours temp (logged every hour on the hour). I plan on adding many more options (such as pH and other sensors, more outlets, etc....)

20160405_204802.jpg

Live Stock (tank is heavy stock I know)
Fish:
* 2 clowns
* 1 tomato clown
* 1 yellow tang
* 1 powered brown tang
* 1 sixline wrasse
* 1 flame angel
* 1 blue/green chromie
* 1 Pajama Cardinal
* 1 BanggaI Cardinal
*2 yellowtail damsels
* 1 sand star
* 1 sea star
* 1 fire shrimp
* handful of snails
(not sure if they are still in the tank cause I have not seen them in awhile)
* 2 peppermint shrimp
* some crabs

Corals:
Zoanthids
* Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
* Green Star Poylps
* Kenya Tree
* Blue Voodoo (which seems to be my best growing coral)
* Some Polyps
* Hollywood Stunner
* Green Montipora Capricornis
* Frogspawn
* Pink/Redish Acropora
* Red Montipora Capricornis

20160219_180714.jpg 20160219_180655.jpg 20160219_180703.jpg 20160219_180648.jpg

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Really cool setup and very nice on setting up your own controller. I am a big fan of the kessil light on our nano, seems like they do very well for you too.
Thanks. Yes I really like the Kessils. I am thinking (when i have money) of switching from the 2 A150s and 1 A360WE to 1 A150 and 2 A360WE.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well today I did a modification to my sump. My pump for my BRS dual reactors (GFO and Carbon) was just under the water line of my sump. This was due to the fact I was impatient to get the unit installed. I was never happy with the location of the pump but it worked. Today I got the idea to extend the line so the pump was at the bottom of my sump. I figured if I was going to do this I should go all out and had this whole two lines hook up in my head. I wanted the 'second' line just in the chance I decide to add a bio reactor or something. I went to Lowes and went to town. I picked up some ball values, pipe, glue, hose, hose connections, etc... After getting home I started working on my design. I was going to use my old skimmer's pump (coralife 65g) to run this system. It does just over 300gph but when i did my test run it was way too loud. Seeing how my design went from two lines to one line (due to limited space) I opted to go back to the pump that been running my reactors. Everything is hooked up and running well.

Before:
20160409_164739.jpg

After
20160409_221231.jpg

Design

20160409_192603.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Here are the two frags I got from the meeting today.

Red Digi - won in the raffle
20160430_191009.jpg

Hammer which I picked up from @whitebear1020
20160430_191000.jpg

Lights are in Accu mode now. I hope to get better pictures once everything starts opening up again.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@whitebear1020 they seem to be doing well. My lights are in Acc mode so the light is slowly (over 7 days) ramping up. The heads are much fuller than what is in this picture. When my lights are back at full I will try and get a better picture.

Thanks again

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
About two days ago I noticed my tomato clown was being more adventurist and swimming around more of my tank. He normally hung out near my BTA but now he swims all over. I also noticed him chasing my male clown fish. Now I seem him chase fish away from the BTA before so I didn't think much of it but then I noticed they were on the other side of my tank. Once my male got away from the tomato clown he then was being chases by my female clown. He was being chases so bad that he almost jumped out of my tank. I went to check on him and was unable to locate him. I checked all over (even on the ground and my overflow) but no fish. I figured he was just hiding under a rock. Well today I noticed my sea star was on the other side of my tank. I took a good look and noticed my sixline wrasse dead on the bottom of my tank. I then saw the dead male clown fish. Now I have no clue why my sixline wrasse died. I checked my other fish and they all seem healthy. Hopefully I don't lose anymore.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So you have a Tomato clown and two other unknown clowns in a tank with one anemone. The only thing I can say is that this isn't going to end pretty. I think you have a problem.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I had two clowns (want to say they are ocellaris) hoping they would go with my anemone. They been in the tank for about 1 year together with no issue but they wouldn't go near my anemone. I waited for my anemone to take hold (he took hold for about a month and then I had to move rocks around so he moved) He found his spot and been in it for 4 months. After him being in the same spot for 3 months and my clowns didn't even go near him I decided to add the tomato. My tomato went right for the anemone and they been together for just over a month now. Its just been this week they been acting strange with chasing each other and what not. The only thing that change is I added a hammer and another frag, which I got from the meeting, and set my lights to acc mode for the new frag.