• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Neptune APEX DOS

I'm getting ready to switch from a calcium reactor back to dosing and I'm curious if anyone here has this and what are your thoughts on it. Always used the BRS Dosers in the past but figured I would upgrade.

Hans has been using the Apex model. I don't know how he likes it or his opinion on it. I just know he has been using it

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I haven't used it personally but have heard some mixed reviews. Many people love the unit and how easy it is to set up with fusion, the others have had a few issues with them but that seems to have been resolved. It was a problem with some of the earlier serial numbered units so if you're getting a newer one you should be good. May I ask why you are getting rid of the calcium reactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't used it personally but have heard some mixed reviews. Many people love the unit and how easy it is to set up with fusion, the others have had a few issues with them but that seems to have been resolved. It was a problem with some of the earlier serial numbered units so if you're getting a newer one you should be good. May I ask why you are getting rid of the calcium reactor?

Mainly it's been a PIA to dial in. It's great for a while then all of a sudden I notice the effluent has slowed and alk goes down. I adjust and then I find the alk to high. Adjust again, rinse/repeat. Way to much wiggle room for me.

I do remember reading about some issues with the heads. But I think that was fixed.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Mainly it's been a PIA to dial in. It's great for a while then all of a sudden I notice the effluent has slowed and alk goes down. I adjust and then I find the alk to high. Adjust again, rinse/repeat. Way to much wiggle room for me.

I do remember reading about some issues with the heads. But I think that was fixed.

Makes sense. Wish I understood them a little better so I could look into one. Probably just going to hook the dosing pumps up once I move. Good luck switching over john.

I had an earlier version that was nothing but headaches. It was actually sent back twice. Now on a brand new unit (with higher serial number) everything has been working fine. I have toyed around with the unit and was able to dose as little as .1ml at a time with almost droplet accuracy. It definitely is a little more noisier then I had expected, but that is ok cause at least I know it's working :) Programming the bugger had me messed up in the beginning. What I ended up doing in fusion was telling it to dose x amount every hour and that resolved the issue I initially was having. Other then that, can't complain about it; other then it's a bit pricey. But then again, what's not pricey in this hobby.

If I didn't already have the Apex unit, I probably would have gone for the Pacific Sun Kore doser; just to save a few buck.

Forget fusion for now. You should be able to hold down the button on the front and then pump will run while it is being pressed. If that works but the system isn't in fusion/dashboard correctly that is a different problem.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have one, soon to be two and it works great, easy to use, just calibrate it every 3-4 months. I'll have a second one soon and I'm debating on selling it or using It for auto water changes (unit was sent in for repairs and I had to buy another one or risk losing the tank)

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This might be a stupid question but as to your problem, do you have the power cord hooked up to the dos?

I have three of them and think they are very good and love the fact they are integrated into the Apex. I also like that they are easy to calibrate and the head/tubing unit is replaceable. I use one for Auto water change, ATO-Kalk, and dosing. I have had no problems at all and have been using them for six months.

This might be a stupid question but as to your problem, do you have the power cord hooked up to the dos?
The Info I got said I didnt need it because I have WAV.
I dont know confusing, but I did use the plug and Its working Now I have to find about 1Link. Yay lol and Yes once I get things going seems pretty simple to Calibrate an Update. Lol feel like I'm learning how to walk all over again

Power is required, which is interesting but makes sense considering what it does. I really like mine, using it for an automatic water change of about 5 gallons a day.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Power is required for the dos, not the containers that you hook up to the 1link, I think that's the confusion