• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Tank - New to the Hobby - I Need Your Input.

Sorry, I was confused, <--my bad

For the baffels, it will allow you to have chambers for all your fixings (skimmer, return pump filter Sox etc

In its simplest form, it will allow u to separate your items (there are others who can chime in if I'm missing something)

You are talking about the sheets of glass I still have to mount in, to create the compartments correct ? Sorry not too good with the terminology, yes I'll be doing that myself, I just need to figure out the set up I'll be using and also the dimensions of the skimmer, before I start. ( Actually looking forward to this part of this whole process, more than adding fish to the tank for some weird reason)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You are talking about the sheets of glass I still have to mount in, to create the compartments correct ? Sorry not too good with the terminology, yes I'll be doing that myself, I just need to figure out the set up I'll be using and also the dimensions of the skimmer, before I start. ( Actually looking forward to this part of this whole process, more than adding fish to the tank for some weird reason)
Correct, sorry if I wasn't clear <<--- long day for me

I have seen it done with acrylic but I haven't done it myself, but yes from my understanding it may not bond well to your glass, also may have the potential to "bow" under the pressure (depending on how thin it is)

Personally, im terrified about cutting, handling glass as I am a bit of dope.....so I will be looking FWD to seeing how this build turns out

From what I've seen online cutting doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure I'll brake a few incorrectly before I get it right but I'm still willing to try.

On an unrelated note, the main tank came with black silicone, and the person who put it together touched the silicone and then the glass leaving a few black thumbprints on the front panel. Any of you have any recommendations as to how I should get that removed? Water and paper towel did nothing to it.

I understand when buying a skimmer, you should aim for one with the capacity to skim twice the size of your tank. I'm just wondering, should I take the size of the sump into consideration? I'm thinking yes, but I'm not too sure.
Also, trying to minimize my down time here, and got me wondering, I think I can start the cycle without yet having the lights am I correct? I have read people say you need it on, and some say off.
If possible I'd like to know your opinion.

From what I've seen online cutting doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure I'll brake a few incorrectly before I get it right but I'm still willing to try.

On an unrelated note, the main tank came with black silicone, and the person who put it together touched the silicone and then the glass leaving a few black thumbprints on the front panel. Any of you have any recommendations as to how I should get that removed? Water and paper towel did nothing to it.
You need to use a blade to remove the silicone.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
a I understand all water measurements mechanical and liquid(dosing -med ) are based on total water volume ..And no lights needed for cycle. just for showing off your scape ..

I understand when buying a skimmer, you should aim for one with the capacity to skim twice the size of your tank. I'm just wondering, should I take the size of the sump into consideration? I'm thinking yes, but I'm not too sure.
Also, trying to minimize my down time here, and got me wondering, I think I can start the cycle without yet having the lights am I correct? I have read people say you need it on, and some say off.
If possible I'd like to know your opinion.
My skimmer is less than twice the capacity and I only run it for 10 to 12 hours a day and you don't need the lights for cycling.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
As everyone else said you don't need your lights on to cycle a tank.

Now my view (and again just my view) it depends on your bio load for the size of your skimmer.

There some great advice going on here and you need to find what works best for you and your tank.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I definitely want to make sure I get a decent skimmer. As I mentioned before I'll be buying these items with the notion I might upgrade in the future.
As far as not needing a light at first, it will definitely help me start the process while I wait on cash flow.
Thanks everyone

So I was thinking my next purchase should be the skimmer so I can build the sump with it in mind. I was thinking about the AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2. Not sure if the upgrade to co-3 is worth the $100, being that I think I'm buying a stronger than necessary skimmer as it is.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
One of the first items I would buy is a decent RO/DI unit here is a good unit. As far as the skimmer, as mentioned, again another one of the first pieces of equipment to buy. Although I wouldn't go too big, I believe in a 1+ philosophy, meaning I would go up one size larger than your system calls for, so in your case I'd go with the CO 1 which is rated for 90 to 175 with 90 gal. rating for a heavy bio-load. If it were me, I'd probably talk to Paul(@redfishbluefish) about the skimmer(SeaSide Aquatice ES5) he is selling.

From what I understand if I have the space to accommodat it, I should aim for bigger skimmer, plus it's not like the skimmer I'm aiming for is that big of a stretch. Also, while I agree with you on the ro/Di, it won't open up new paths for me to work on. While if I get a skimmer I can sink some time working on the sump and even some of the plumbing. Thanks for your reply btw.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would agree on getting a large skimmer, i have around 150g total water volume, i got a skimmer rated for about 180-200g on a heavy load, about the biggest i can fit in the sump, but wish i could go even bigger. i'd prefer a skimmer that can handle 250-300g with a heavy bioload. Also, an rodi is the first thing i got, you don't have to buy or haul water, and i'm not sure what you would pay for it, but a decent rodi is 150-200, if water is $1 a gallon, it's already paid for itself after that first 200 gallons. Even a smaller tank can go through 200 gallons rather quickly. It's one of the only items that will pay for itself.

Haven't searched for one yet, but I'm sure there is.

Also, down to 2 skimmers:
  1. AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2
  2. Reef Octopus Classic 202-S

Any thoughts?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
personally, i'd go with the 202-s, great skimmer, i've had no issues with it, other than i wish it was larger, but i have a 150g system, it's been pulling a ton of skim mate for me. I was also debating on selling it and upgrading to a larger skimmer for my tank. It's quiet, i have no air bubbles getting back into my system, and would support a heavy bioload in your tank. I personally have no experience with aquamaxx skimmers, so i might be a bit bias.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Haven't searched for one yet, but I'm sure there is.

Also, down to 2 skimmers:
  1. AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2
  2. Reef Octopus Classic 202-S

Any thoughts?

I bought a used smaller Reef Octopus from Mark C for a planned build, and he said it was really nice. I haven't used it, but initial thought on quality was very positive.