• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Tank - New to the Hobby - I Need Your Input.

Got it at Tropiquarium. Decent price, only thing was they don't have it in stock, so it needs to be ordered. Unless you are ok with not having the low iron front glass.

As you can see from the floor/wall of the basement in that picture, it's an old house, and finding a leveled area, or a place that was at least even was impossible. So I'm not too thrilled at the quality, just hope its good enough to hold. (I think I'm going to add a supporting column in the center of the back wall, not too sure if I should do the same for the front. what do you guys think?)

I'm hoping to use plywood for the bottom of the DT, and the bottom of the sump.

Was planning on using MDF for the sides, but the more I search about it, the more
I'm concerned about getting it wet, and bubbling up.

Any ideas of what else I could use to wrap around it? something that could help me
make it look a bit more modern?

tank 1.jpg

Back at it again now that we are done with some renovations in the house. I'm looking to make my own sump. Thinking of 3 chambers: 1st with skimmer, 2nd with refugium and 3rd with return pump. Thinking of using 3 baffles for each section, over, under, over. Now I have a question for you guys.
I'm using a 40g breeder 16 inc deep. What do u guys think of these baffles heights:

First Divider.
Over1. : 11 inc
Under1: 11 1/2 inch (but with a 1 1/2 gap from the bottom, making it 13 inch tall)
Over2 : 10inc

Then 2nd divider

Over1:. 9 inches
Under1:. 11 1/2 inc with same gap (to make it somewhat even with the other side)
Over2: 8inc

It took me a little bit of time, and I'm still not finished since I still need to wrap the stand and also build a shelve for the electronics. but yesterday I was finally able to dump water in, and start the main process. I don't know if anyone will read this, as this is a pretty old thread, however, I wanted to thank all the people who took their time to answer my 1001 questions, and also 1001 I will continue to ask, now more than ever :)

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
  • Tank (1).jpg
    Tank (1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
you could try cabinet doors The options of designs and colors are unlimited
IDK if you can see those 2 metal circles on the leg of the stand, they are high intensity magnets, I'm planning on just doing 3 separate sheets of plywood, wrapped in vinyl for each side of the cabinet, using the magnets to hold the panels up. I have all the material needed only problem was the plywood I got delivered is bent, so I'm having to re think what I'm going to use , maybe mdf boards... IDK yet.
On a side note, I added my shrimp today to start the circle, messed a good amount with return pump flow and tried to find out what would be appropriate for now, quickly realized I think I need an air valve on the top of my durso stand pipe, the noise coming out of it is out of this world lol.

How did the sump turn out? Any recommendations? I’m fixing to make my own sump for a new build I’m planning. Any advice or resources would be appreciated.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
man, love that tank. i miss mine, wish i never sold it. good luck and will be following along.

How did the sump turn out? Any recommendations? I’m fixing to make my own sump for a new build I’m planning. Any advice or resources would be appreciated.
I think it's too early to tell, but I do wish I had more space on the skimmer side, if I were to add a 2nd sock things will start to cramp up. I'm sure people with actual experience can give you better advice on better sump set up.

Is it normal for the water to still be cloudy after the 3rd day? I used Reef Saver, IDK if that is part of the reason or maybe the fact that I don't yet have a sock installed. But after shutting off the powerhead I thought it would have cleared up a bit, but it barely helped. Any thoughts?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Did you rinse the sand well? I rinse a small amount at a time until it runs clear