• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Noise drain

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok guys.
Tips on making my drain less noisy. With my old configuration I had the cap right on the bulkhead and the noise wasn't too bad. With redoing my sump I decided to bring the drain cap higher so I added a pipe. Now my drain is very noisy and so far nothing works to cut the noise down. I did try putting two elbows on so that the cap was facing down which made the drain less noisy but the water would fill up and then drain below the cap and keep repeating this making it very loud.

No I do not have a ball value on the drain
IMG_20161211_165447.jpg
IMG_20161211_165513.jpg
IMG_20161211_165526.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Did you drill a hole in the elbow? If you didn't, you'll get repeating siphoning on and off.....and noisy.

Your other option is a Maggie Muffler.....and you can easily DIY them if you wish.....just google DIY maggie muffler.

No I didn't I was unable to find my drill bits. Time to look harder for them. I thought I needed to drill a hole

Just to make sure I want to drill the hole on the elbow connected to the pipe which is connected to the bulkhead correct?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Space has nothing to do with it. How many overflow do you have? How many drains and returns?
If you have one drain one return you need to make them both drains and get the return over the tank.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Space has nothing to do with it. How many overflow do you have? How many drains and returns?
If you have one drain one return you need to make them both drains and get the return over the tank.

Well that is true but I'm ok with how my system is running at the moment. Maybe I will do a setup like that when I get into a house and have better pipe routing

I run a Herbie on mine. It was actually pretty easy and is almost dead silent. The only noise I have now is the hum from my return pump. The only thing I didnt like was that I needed to run my return up around the back outside of the tank because I only had two holes drilled in my tank. But to be honest you cant tell because my overflow blocks it from view. I will never go back to the regular overflow that sounds like a toilet flushing all the time. I def recommend the Herbie.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I run a Herbie on mine. It was actually pretty easy and is almost dead silent. The only noise I have now is the hum from my return pump. The only thing I didnt like was that I needed to run my return up around the back outside of the tank because I only had two holes drilled in my tank. But to be honest you cant tell because my overflow blocks it from view. I will never go back to the regular overflow that sounds like a toilet flushing all the time. I def recommend the Herbie.

The Herbie setup does seem nice but to tell you with my new setup the only thing I hear is the small sound of the water coming out of the return line into the tank (I could look at lowering the head but it's OK) and a very low hum from the pump/skimmer in my stand. This setup I am running is much lower than my old setup.