• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ok, Afraid to Frag and disrupt tank

My leather and pulsing Xenia are starting to overtake my tank. I don't want to remove rock and disrupt things.
Anyone have the best method to do it in the tank? Also, if there is someone local to Delran, N.J and wants to help frag these, you can have whatever we clip off. Also I have a long spined urchin that is getting to big, you can have that too.Tank.jpg Urchin.jpg

Attachments

• Leather.jpg
    Leather.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Best method to trim xenia is just to remove the rock(s) its on. Though the stuff is considered a weed by many, I have a dedicated xenia tank and love it.
You can cut the xenia at is base, but it will come back. Unsure if there's a way to truly 'kill' it.
There's a few members down in your area that may be able to help.

One option may be to trade a xenia covered rock to a local shop in exchange for credit, they'll frag the rock and sell the frags.
Another is to start a second tank and run the first as Xenia only. They don't require much light so thats cheap, and they need minimal flow, so no big powerheads, they also are experts at phosphate removal, so no skimmer needed.
A third is to buy a small tank (I have an IM10 with skyye light) and move the xenia rock into there for a species specific tank.
In my xenia tank I've got a small media basket with a bit of floss in it that I change once a week. I do a 10% water change every 2-3 weeks. Stock light. Easiest tank ever to maintain.
Throw a few sexy shrimp in there, maybe a pom pom crab, a few snails, a few bumblebee shrimp, and then just sit and stare at it, its mesmerizing.

Just updated my post on it...
Mark's IM10

Last edited:
If you absolutely aren't willing to remove the rock, here is my reccomendation.
Get a little hand held razor blade and cut off as much as you can by slicing at the edges and pushing underneath until it pops off. You can trade that into your LFS or if you have room, throw it in the sump and it will help control nitrates and phosphates. Once you cut it, the next thing I would do is try and block the light from reaching it so it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you live close to Delran and want to help you can take as much of that leather and those pulsing xenia's as you want