• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pump and powerhead discussion

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A pump or powerhead is a requirement to the tank.

This forum is for discussion involving our choices.
Are you going airpump or are you going to try a small powerhead?
What's your rationale?
Where did you get it?
Cost?

Reply to this thread with all pump and powerhead related questions, discussions, and links.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using an air pump, and still may. It has been decades since I used them and they were never reliable, or quiet. For some corals, such as ricordea, reports seem to indicate they live best in well oxygenated water. I also feel that it would be easier to hide, especially if I could run the tube through a hollow handle or drill through the container. One last thought, if you used a stone with fine bubbles, you might be able to skim off some scum when you change water. But this doesn't work if you plan to change water through a dispenser near the bottom.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm going to use a single line airpump in mine.
Though I have been debating on putting a micro powerhead in there to function as both circulation and heat provider.
Seems a lot of the builds that inspired these threads just have a basic air pump.

Super Silent Air Pump for Aquariums and Hydroponics. Includes Tubing, Power Adapter and 2 Air Stones

Anyone know about these pumps

not sure I understand the question, but I’ve always assumed a skimmer provides enough oxygenation for a tank. The power heads are for water flow for corals and to suspend nutrients.

I guess having a battery backup air stone could be a good thing, right now I have a single Tunze pump configured to take over in case of a power failure. I have no idea if the tank would be oxygen deprived if it went a whole day or two with only the single Tunze running.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
jka,
This is in the Pico Challenge thread.
This thread is to recommend and discuss pumps for these tanks (which, by the rules are 2.5g and under and do not have skimmers).
Join in...
Drink Tank Challenge (pico)