• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Simple apex code, on for 10min, off for 5min throughout the whole day.

Too soon to tell but so far so good. The unit feels solid in my hand and when I installed it. It's AC so there's no clunky power brick, inexpensive and programmable.

It's also really quiet.....my gyre made this very annoying pitched humming noise. If I didn't see the water, I wouldnt be able to tell if this thing is on

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Heater Failure

So once again, my heater failed on me....but this time in the "On" position instead of the "Off" like last time.
so upon inspection, the heater was stuck at a temperature of 96' degrees....when it was set at 76'. thank to the Apex, the unit was shut off when it reached 80' but was causing the tank temp to swing 4'+- in both directions
upload_2017-1-25_9-36-9.png

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
This is the 2nd Neo Therm Heater that has failed on me in a month....i don't know what going on but it is under warranty and we getting replaced

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
the crazy part is, as you can see from the chart, this has been going on for a couple of days now....and i never noticed it so i partially blame myself....no ill effects on fish or corals but still, its very upsetting

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
it was set to turn off when it reached 80'....so it did that but the unit itself would not go lower than 96' so the heater was never really able to turn on being the apex kept shutting it off

Last edited:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
sure, i got the alerts, a bunch of them i was just sleeping when it went off....what i would like would be to set maybe a caution alert when something is about to happen....i just don't know how to code it

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know Apex, but I'm surprised that it doesn't actually control your heaters. I have old school ReefKeeper 2 and it controls my two heaters from 78.0 to 78.3....never fluctuates from these temp's unless it's summer and I haven't turned on the air conditioner.

Go Eheim Jager......twice as thick glass....the best heater's I've found.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
it shut them off...but i won't regulate the temp. so the neo therm automatically set itself for some reason to 96' when i set it to 76'. as a fail-safe, i have it turn on when the temp is below 76 and off when its at 80. here is my apex program for my heater

upload_2017-1-25_11-10-57.png

so once it went past 80, the apex shut it off and the alarm chimed for high temp (the thermometer was set to 96' at this point). then the alarm chimed again as the tank temp fell below 76 (as the neo therm was still off from the high temp alarm)

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@trio91 to have the apex control the temp then you would need to set that range closer. for example if 77 is the temp your looking for then I would set it as follow - ON 76.9 and OFF 77.5 (or even 77.1 if you want a closer range). Now I am just assuming here with that.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
the reason i left it that wide, is because the unit itself has a variance +-3' . so my assumption was to give it that spread to avoid constantly shutting on n off

the neo them has it's build in temperature gauge so the apex i just used a safety

so i should set to a smaller window? im not tech savvy so if im the problem, let me know

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
the reason i left it that wide, is because the unit itself has a variance +-3' . so my assumption was to give it that spread to avoid constantly shutting on n off

the neo them has it's build in temperature gauge so the apex i just used a safety

so i should set to a smaller window? im not tech savvy so if im the problem, let me know

To tell you I would do the same thing you did and use the Apex as a fail safe. I then would use the heater's built in system to turn it off and on. Personally I feel killing the power and then reading power repeatedly (to use to control the heater) might cause more damaged to the heater as well as spike your amps but I don't know for a fact.

Now if you want your apex to control your tank's temp and not use the built in one on the heater then make the range small (what your ok with in a swing in your temp) and the apex should turn on and off within that range.