• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Stunning! Great mix of corals.
Only...well...there seems to be something wrong that I can't put my finger on.
I'm a bit aquatic-sensitive and I'm picking u some sort of evil...small, but evil, presence.
I think I feel it laughing.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Stunning! Great mix of corals.
Only...well...there seems to be something wrong that I can't put my finger on.
I'm a bit aquatic-sensitive and I'm picking u some sort of evil...small, but evil, presence.
I think I feel it laughing.
I hear that laugh as well....everytime I hear that ominous snapping in the evening :mad:

I have a dottyback that does that... hope he doesn't get shredded. If only your shrimp would go in there:) I had to take every rock from my tank before I could catch my shrimp. Tank looking great, keep on with the nice job.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, that would be nice to have a shrimp cocktail for dinner one day. He's alluded all of my traps so far...

Right now, that pump is off and only on during the feed mode when the lights are on.....so he should be fairly safe as he's up n around by that time.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So, i lost my Hector's Goby the other day....and to boot, ive been fighting with what appears to be some dino's + cyano in my tank

Unfortunately I have also lost some corals as well, a gorgonian and a cap. And to add insult to injury, my chalices (which take very well to my tank) are growing and have been stinging some of its neighboring corals. So far my acans and some candy canes have taken a beating.....I guess it's time to frag soon

Side note, alkalinity was a little over 7dkh
:beatdeadhorse5:

Happy Tuesday everyone :beaten:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
here's the tank parameters:

Alkalinity = yesterday 7dkh , today 8.57 dkh (i added some extra kalkwasser to my ATO)
Calcium = i didn't test yesterday as i was in rush to go to work but today its at 429
Ammonia = 0
using the API test kit
Nitrates = 0 using the API test kit so this could be off a little
Phosphates = didn't test cuz i don't have a non-expired test kit
PH = 8.2 using the API

today im going to do a 4gal water change and clean her up a bit, from there we will see where we stand with the numbers

here's the tank parameters:

Alkalinity = yesterday 7dkh , today 8.57 dkh (i added some extra kalkwasser to my ATO)
Calcium = i didn't test yesterday as i was in rush to go to work but today its at 429
Ammonia = 0
using the API test kit
Nitrates = 0 using the API test kit so this could be off a little
Phosphates = didn't test cuz i don't have a non-expired test kit
PH = 8.2 using the API

today im going to do a 4gal water change and clean her up a bit, from there we will see where we stand with the numbers

Marcus just be careful with the alk swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
yea i know, and im assuming that was the cause of my issues....aside from the dead fish.

what i did was premix a separate ato container with some fresh kalk....and added an additional tsp to the mix. so the previous container was 1tsp per 2gal of fresh water and the current is now back to its original which is 2tsp per 2gal of water.

the main reason for my change was because i switched brands of kalkwasser (cuz i ran out) and wasn't sure how it was going to react to my tank. I went from using Kent Marine to Brightwells Kalk +2. I was told it was the similar but with an addition of strontium added, so instinctively i decided to back off to see what it would do.

yea i know, and im assuming that was the cause of my issues....aside from the dead fish.

what i did was premix a separate ato container with some fresh kalk....and added an additional tsp to the mix. so the previous container was 1tsp per 2gal of fresh water and the current is now back to its original which is 2tsp per 2gal of water.

the main reason for my change was because i switched brands of kalkwasser (cuz i ran out) and wasn't sure how it was going to react to my tank. I went from using Kent Marine to Brightwells Kalk +2. I was told it was the similar but with an addition of strontium added, so instinctively i decided to back off to see what it would do.

I've tried Kalk in my ATO before to try to get my pH higher and I did not like it , my tank was SPS dominated at that time and the Alk fluctuations had RTN problems. I went back to the DIY 2 part dosing, to me it is more controllable dosing system. I know of a lot of people using Kalk with success but that was not my case.

I have a slightly used BRS Kalk container you can have if you want too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk