• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
the fans seem to be soldered on, so I am not sure if replacing them would be possible, and ballast may run me a few dollars which I really don't want to spend.

now, on a side note, I do have 2 kessils lying around, 1 a360we. if you guys feel that it may not be worth it to fix, then I was thinking I can pull out the entire light system, cut a hole in the top and drop in a kessil pendant

that's it guys, this is my road-block @redfishbluefish and company...your thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
that's what I was thinking too...I wanted to put the feelers out there to see if this is an easy fix....which I am sure it is not

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Macus, the guts look pretty straight forward. The long rectangular box on the right is the ballast for the compact flourescent bulbs....the small little clear cube just to the left of that ballast (with the six wires coming out) is a relay (most likely to let the fans know when the lights are on)....and the white small box on the left is simply a power supply (if you have LEDs, for them, and for the fans).

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So, after taking my colleague reefers advice, I decided to remove the old light fixture. IMG_20160406_124521.jpg IMG_20160406_130620.jpgIMG_20160406_130537.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
being that this will be my 1st above ground display tank, so I will want this to look as sharp as possible. I really would hate to destroy the hood just to place a kessil on it. the way it is now, I would have to cut out a hole in the top and hang a pendant from the ceiling (which I am not in the mood to do)

any recommendations on what and how I should install the lighting system?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If I understand, you've already gutted the hood/canopy. You're choice is to buy a kit (Stevesleds, Rapidled, Proledsupply, etc.), or start from scratch and do a total DIY. I've got to believe there are DIY threads out there that show you how to do this specific hood.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If I understand, you've already gutted the hood/canopy. You're choice is to buy a kit (Stevesleds, Rapidled, Proledsupply, etc.), or start from scratch and do a total DIY. I've got to believe there are DIY threads out there that show you how to do this specific hood.
correct, this is a real time thread.....thank you for the info, ill take a peek and see what I find....I was looking at something like this to install. Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED Striplight
the hood itself is 24'' in length, so I was thinking of installing 2-12'' strips into that hole underneath parallel to each other. i should be able to screw these guys in, plug em up and that should be that.

what do you think? the reviews seem pretty good, and its simple enough for the need. im not really shooting for a SPS dominant tank, was thinking of going softy or lps

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I think a DYI LED is the way to go but you might be able to mood the hood to fit your already own Kessil. Not sure how far off the water the hood is but maybe cut a hole in the hood that will fit the Kessil flush in (butt end with the fan and all sticking out). take some metal plates and use them as support to hold the Kessil light in (so the light would sit on those plates) but that is just an idea not sure how it would work/look

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
alright cool. I have some ideas and options now. checking out some of the retrofit fit like steve's led's and rapid led's, for the price that they are asking, I might as well go with my kessil on this tank. I am going to mull this over and see what I come up with.

to be continued......

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
correct, this is a real time thread.....thank you for the info, ill take a peek and see what I find....I was looking at something like this to install. Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED Striplight
the hood itself is 24'' in length, so I was thinking of installing 2-12'' strips into that hole underneath parallel to each other. i should be able to screw these guys in, plug em up and that should be that.

what do you think? the reviews seem pretty good, and its simple enough for the need. im not really shooting for a SPS dominant tank, was thinking of going softy or lps

I know you shouldn't judge LEDs by wattage.......however, two 24" TrueLumen Pro strips at 16 watts each isn't much light. Great for a FOWLR, but not for coral. I think the kits for that tank are in the 50 to 60 watt range. Maybe three strips would put you on the low end. You'll have to do research to figure that out.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Glad to see this tank is still going, you are the 4th NJRC person to have it (that I know of). I am not a modder but, could you use the kessil gooseneck fitting on the back of the tank to avoid handing it from the ceiling and then cut a whole in the lid for it?

The skimmer is know to not be great, you can look at a tunze for a replacement as it is smaller and actually works well. Also the in Tank media baskets will help keep the tank running.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
the fans seem to be soldered on, so I am not sure if replacing them would be possible,..........

Marcus, if you wish to replace the fans, and want to bring this thing to Sayreville, I can solder in the new fans for you.....that will look like a professional job, using shrink wrap around the solder job. You just need to buy the fans.

And, if you want to use those fans, unless it's hidden somewhere else, that smaller white box was the power supply for the fans....and the relay was used to let the fans know when the lights were receiving power (when to turn on). SO you have to save those components.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to see this tank is still going, you are the 4th NJRC person to have it (that I know of). I am not a modder but, could you use the kessil gooseneck fitting on the back of the tank to avoid handing it from the ceiling and then cut a whole in the lid for it?

The skimmer is know to not be great, you can look at a tunze for a replacement as it is smaller and actually works well. Also the in Tank media baskets will help keep the tank running.
so this is the communal tank? lol.....yeah,im already not liking this skimmer....as is, (for some reason) the In-Tank basket that was given to me as well, doesn't seem to fit into the compartment along with the skimmer....ive tried multiple ways to fit it in....it seems to be either 1 or the other

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Marcus, if you wish to replace the fans, and want to bring this thing to Sayreville, I can solder in the new fans for you.....that will look like a professional job, using shrink wrap around the solder job. You just need to buy the fans.

And, if you want to use those fans, unless it's hidden somewhere else, that smaller white box was the power supply for the fans....and the relay was used to let the fans know when the lights were receiving power (when to turn on). SO you have to save those components.
I appreciate that Paul, I really do....im really leaning at this point to run my kessil on this tank...its practically brand new and I know it'll work. im going to go and get a large hole cutter to make a type of pod/recessed light with the kessil

worse case scenario, I just take hood off, and suspend the kessil, or run the gooseneck (I have an extra one lying around)