• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Redsea Reefer Build Advice Required

Hi everyone. Firstly, thanks for all the comments and advice you have provided on my first thread on these forums. I spent a long time looking for 2 forums where I could call home because from previous experience, I believe that having access to grounded knowledgeable folks is an important part of this hobby.

Whilst I am not yet ready for a “Tale of The Tank” thread I am getting close, my goal this time around is to take things slowly and get them right the first time, plus a whole lot has changed since I had a marine tank all those years ago.

My mind is made up on the brand of tank. It will be a Redsea Reefer. What I am unsure of at this point in time is the size, the good thing is I have narrowed it down to the two below with a bit of a swing toward the 425XL:

• Redsea Reefer 350
  • Redsea Reefer 425XL

What I need help with now is the recommended components to get the tank up and running and by this I mean I will have sand, rock, water and a couple of fish. What I don’t need right now are any reactors, dosing equipment, algae scrubber etc etc, that can all wait. So, what comes immediately to mind are the following items:

• Lights
  • Heater(s)
  • Skimmer
  • Skimmer Pump
  • Return Pump
  • Tank pumps for flow (Powerheads/Wave Machine)
  • Controller unit (something that does it all is preferable)
  • R/O Machine

As always your help and advice is very much appreciated.

I would go with the 425xl

Lights - ATI 8 bulb fixture 48 inch
Heaters - Eheim JAGER two 150 watts
Skimmer - reef octopus classic 150
Return pump - Reef Octopus VarioS 4 or 6
Wavemakers - mp 40
Controller - apex
R/O - BRS

Thanks Mrx, one thing I did fail to mention is that I predomantly want to have SPS and LPS corals. I’d love an anemone at some point down the road too.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I would go with the 425xl

Lights - ATI 8 bulb fixture 48 inch
Heaters - Eheim JAGER two 150 watts
Skimmer - reef octopus classic 150
Return pump - Reef Octopus VarioS 4 or 6
Wavemakers - mp 40
Controller - apex
R/O - BRS
that's a pretty solid list...i would say that the Apex unit would be an optional purchase. You also could go cheaper @ShaggyRS6 on some of the other pieces of equipment if you are on a strict budget

No real budget other than the wife. Although I am questioning the lights as I want to grow coral. I see lots of LED’s nowadays

They don't make a tank mount but you could use a Gieseman wall mount bracket and there is a few diy brackets out there

LEDs are good to you would need two LED fixtures maybe three depending what the shadowing is like. I'm a t5 guy so i prefer them over LEDs. There's no shadowing with T5 no adjusting color Spectrum just mount them and plug them in. But you can definitely have a successful SPS tank with LEDs.

Would love the 525 but I think 425 is gonna be the one. I actually need to measure the width of my basement stairs to make sure the tank will fit. That’s like the most obvious thing I need to do that I have not done :)

Ok, so I contacted 3 reputable fishy stores for quotes. Its not all about the money though, its about the customer service, well and the money :) I may change a few things around as I am getting advice flowing in, so I may not start out with what I originally asked for. L

So let me know what you think on this. help and advice completely appreciated everything is subject to change. I just want to make sure I am getting what I need.

Aquarium
RedSea Reefer 425XL (Black)

Lighting
I'm stuck on this a little, here is my current thoughts, I could do with some help here on the best way to go.
3 Hydra 26's and mounts

Skimmer
Reef Octopus Classic 150

Heaters
2 x Eheim JAGER 150 Watt

Return Pump
Reef Octopus VarioS 6

Wavemaker
Gyre XF250 & controller + One more XF250
Icecap to Neptune Module

Controller
Apex "WIFI" Controller System w/Silver Display - Neptune Systems or just the Classic Lab - Not 100% decided yet

R/O
BRS 4 Stage RO/DI System with built in TDS or similar

Looks good that's a sweet set up the only thing I would say is the gyres can be a little on the loud side. I had a 230 and you could hear it ramping up and down but they make some nice flow.