• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef safe silicone from HD or Lowes

Title says it all, this goes out to Paul, which GE product is ok? If it has 100 % silicone and no mold inhibitors then good. Would like to work on my sump this eve and I'm out of time to drive to the local LFS.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The trick with attaching rock together (whether it's with epoxy or cement) is to use plastic rod. Some have gone out and purchased expensive teflon or nylon rods, but I've had great success with using plastic hangers that I cut into short pieces and then drill the rock with a masonry drill bit. The rod now actually holds the rock from "slipping" while the epoxy / cement holds it together. I haven't had luck with the cement products, but I've used epoxy stick products, and the one I like (price and availability) is Rectorseal Epoxy Putty that's available at HD.
5134343e-b08e-49e8-a56c-c9dd6f40490d_1000.jpg

You can use gorilla glue on rocks? Its safe

Yes... It needs some drying time before you put it in water or it runs. Ive had it in different tanks and coral and algae grow on it with no bad effects... Its holding the rocks together in my tank now that has been going for more than 1 year.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I've been using a 10oz bottle of extra thick super glue from BRS. It works well, and the super glue sets up surprisingly quick underwater.

Dave