• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Removing Paint Off Glass?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I've been doing some renovations in the basement and decided that I'll be setting up my old 80 Gallon Deep Blue tank again but turning it into a peninsula style tank once everything is completed in the next few weeks or so. Problem is, I painted the back of the tank black...

any natural ways to take that paint off easily without using any harsh chemicals? want to avoid damaging the silicon or glass.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If it's just acrylic paint, it should just come off with a razor blade. I have used a 6" paint scraper. If it has spray paint then use a product from that you can get from Auto Zone called GumOut.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
hmm, not sure what paint i used. i'll try a blade first and if its proving to be difficult, i'll find some paint thinner.

any negative effects using paint thinner on the silicone or the bottom plastic brace?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You may wanna work outside with the paint thinner. Depending on how strong it is.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
hmm, not sure what paint i used. i'll try a blade first and if its proving to be difficult, i'll find some paint thinner.

any negative effects using paint thinner on the silicone or the bottom plastic brace?

It may fade the color on plastic brace, not sure about the silicone. Try using a rag with paint thinner and rub it on getting as close to silicone and brace without actually rubbing them.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
thanks guys, going to razor blade it and maybe look into the chemicals mentioned if it gets hard to take off.