• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Returning To Reef Keeping After 10 Years

Hi everyone, first off a disclaimer :) I have chosen 2 forums to use from this point on, I wanted to choose a forum more locally oriented and one other just so I can get some diversity! I wanted to get that out the way up front! Onto some background.

During the last 3 or 4 months I have had the urge to get back into reef keeping again. I have been looking at YouTube videos, browsing forums and visiting a couple of local stores to see what’s on offer. What’s immediately apparent are that things have moved on!!! Especially in the world of lighting. What I also noticed was everything got more expensive? Now, this could be a misconception of mine for a couple of reasons, 1. Fish keeping is just more expensive here in the US than the UK. Nearly $1000 for 160 pounds of live rock?? Or more likely I just did not care about money so much 10 years ago!

Back on track. So I am looking for a reef setup. Now I know if I get a nano reef I will be replacing it in 2 months with a larger tank so I have decided up front to get whatever I can get past the wife without divorce.

What has caught my eye just lately is the RedSea Reefer system, the 250 or 350, some local FS just quoted me $4800 for a 350 fully setup, rock, sand, lights, skimmer everything. Seems expensive. Or is that the going rate?

What I could do with advice on is choosing a LFS. I live in Waldwick NJ, and whilst there are some stores locally , some of which I have visited I have not found one that gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling. To me this is important as I will invest my hard earned cash in to one store and having a good relationship is important to me. I went to the place on RT 17 a couple of times and whilst the staff seem friendly enough, the place looked a bit run down, the tanks were dirty, filters dirty in the fresh water section etc. I have also been to Absolutely Fish in Clifton which is super clean, a great selection of everything, I went there for a quote at the beginning of the year and found the staff were not that engaging. I may have caught them in an off day, it was certainly very busy when I went. I want to give these folks another try.

With this in mind do you folks have any suggestions of stores that would be worth visiting? In my area?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
First weclome. I created this thread awhile back in hope to get it full of good details for folks - LFS you shop at

You will find folks here are great in helping out. Also right now if you pay the $12 a year membership fee you can gain access to the for sale section which might help you save money.

In that area I loved reef encounter in Hackensack. Knowledgeable, down to earth, and just into the hobby-I learned a ton from them and never felt I was receiving a sales pitch. Much better experiences there than at absolutely fish.

Just resurrecting this thread. Before pulling the trigger, does anyone have experience or any comments on Waterbox aquariums. I was looking at the 135 + loop

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
No experience but ive seen em, to me they look almost identical to Red Sea tanks.

Saltwateraquarium.com is having a sale on them

They look really nice and I like the fact they come as a kit. Thanks for the tip on the Website Trio, that store looks pretty good. Does anyone have any comments or feedback on the components that come in the kit? Specifically the lights? I have listed them below:

1. 98.9 Gallon Low Iron Glass Rimless Aquarium
  2. UV Coated Waterproof Stand/Cabinet
  3. In Cabinet All Glass Multi Chamber Sump w/Dual Filter Socks & Evaporation Lid
  4. External Overflow Box
  5. Plumbing Kit - Schedule 80 plumbing
  6. 2x - Current USA IC LOOP LED Aquarium Lights (Model 4220 - 92 Watts)
  7. 2x - Current USA Orbit Mounting Brackets
  8. 1x - Current USA Power Center
  9. 1x - Current USA eFlux DC Return Pump (1900 GPH DC Adjustable)
  10. 2x - Current USA eFlux Wave pumps (1050 GPH)
  11. 1x - Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer (Rated up to 140 Gallon)
  12. 1x - Finnex 800 Watt Titanium Heater w/Digital Controller (Rated 140-265 Gallon)
  13. 1x - Pacific Sun Sentry ATO
Water & Aquascaping List Includes:

1. 1x - 200 Gallon Box of Fritz RPM Salt
  2. 1x - Box of 60 lbs of Real Reef Rock
  3. 1x - Generic Refractometer for Salinity Testing
  4. 1x - Puratek 100GPD RODI unit with Booster Pump
  5. 1x - 100 ml Bottle of Seachem Stability

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Marine Depot has a buy a pump, get a pump deal going On for black friday, with the Current Pumps