• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sbelyo's 120 build

Hello All...

I have decided to upgrade from a 20L nano. I'm guessing this will take at least a year to complete while I gather equipment, advice, and of course knowledge.

The tank is an AGA 120 Gal 48x24x24 it's roughly 10 years onld and has sat in the basement with no water (I'm guessing this should be ok). Since the bottom is tempered I will drill the back for an overflow and return.

Below is what I'm thinking of using for that:

Overflow:
http://glass-holes.com/3000-2-Complete-Overflow-Kit-or-Half-a-3K-3000-2.htm

Return:
http://www.glass-holes.com/3-4-Inch-Loc-Line-Return-Kit-ghReturn75.htm

What do you all think about this first step, and I plan to paint the back black? Should I paint berfore or after I drill?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I know there are a lot of fans of glass holes on here (indcluding myself) so good choice with them. You probably want to drill first and then paint. Considering the tank is old and you have not done anything to it, have you leak tested it? You can basically just fill it up with tap water and let it sit for a few days to make sure there are no leaks or that it will hold water. Silicone over time if left dry can harden and crack which could lead to a fail, there is a product (paging redfishbluefish) that you can apply to the silicone to make it better.

Good luck with the upgrade, nanos are fun, but big tanks are more fun.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glass-Holes…….WooooHoooo!

Now you linked to the 3000/2……a 1500 gph overflow, where two would be needed to get 3000 gph. I think two of these within a four foot tank is overkill. Dependant on the return pump you are using, and especially if you are only planning on one 3000/2, I’d look at the 1500 gph kit.

In addition, how many return lines are you going to have? And what pump do you plan on using.

If you wish to travel to Sayreville, you're welcome to see the 1500 in action.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
+1 to the 1500 over the 3000/2.

Both my 40B and 65 have a G-H 700 kit and I love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glass-Holes…….WooooHoooo!

Now you linked to the 3000/2……a 1500 gph overflow, where two would be needed to get 3000 gph. I think two of these within a four foot tank is overkill. Dependant on the return pump you are using, and especially if you are only planning on one 3000/2, I’d look at the 1500 gph kit.

In addition, how many return lines are you going to have? And what pump do you plan on using.

If you wish to travel to Sayreville, you're welcome to see the 1500 in action.
I thought the 1500 was the better choice, but I wasn't sure. I'd like to go with two returns. Should I use 1/2" or 3/4?

For a pump I was thinking in sump submersible and efficient. Any reccomendations?

Can you tell me what product mnat is refering to?
Silicone over time if left dry can harden and crack which could lead to a fail, there is a product (paging redfishbluefish) that you can apply to the silicone to make it better.

howze01

NJRC Member
For a pump I was thinking in sump submersible and efficient. Any reccomendations?

I used a Sicce Syncra on my last tank and it was a great pump. I am setting up a tank with a Diablo DC 10500. Supposed to be a great pump from what I have read. Will let you know once it's up and running.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Disregard what I said about the silicone stuff, I rememberd who I heard it from and talked to them. It was a grease you put on the silicone BEFORE you put it in storage, not after. Again, leak test the thing.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can you tell me what product mnat is refering to?

……..Silicone over time if left dry can harden and crack which could lead to a fail, there is a product (paging redfishbluefish) that you can apply to the silicone to make it better.

I’m not quite sure??? There are two types of silicones used in aquariums….sealants and adhesives. The caulk you buy at HD, GE Silicone I, is the sealant type of silicone and will remain pliable forever. Adhesive type silicones, the RTV type (RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanizing), could potentially harden more over time. And some RTV’s purposely harden as hard as a rock. I am not familiar with how this vulcanizing works, but I could easily see it continuing over time.

When it comes to other rubber products….O-rings, gaskets, etc., the best thing that could be done with these is to give them a light coat with Plumbers Grease. Although labeled as a grease, it is non-petroleum based. Any petroleum product used on rubber (such as Vaseline), with cause the rubber to swell and eventually fail. The product I actually use on all my rubber stuff is Leslie’s Pool Lube. It’s the same stuff as Plumber’s Grease, but you get a lot more for less $$. I think it was $7.00 for the big tube, while Plumber’s Grease is something like $12 for a couple ounces.

IMG_1233.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I thought the 1500 was the better choice, but I wasn't sure. I'd like to go with two returns. Should I use 1/2" or 3/4?

In general, the fatter the pipe, the less frictional loss, the greater the volume coming out the end.

I actually brought the return line up to the top of the tank and Tee'd it off in both directions. Each of these legs has two Loc-Lines on it, for a total of four.

IMG_2240.jpg

I used a Sicce Syncra on my last tank and it was a great pump. I am setting up a tank with a Diablo DC 10500. Supposed to be a great pump from what I have read. Will let you know once it's up and running.
I was looking at both of those pumps last night

Disregard what I said about the silicone stuff, I rememberd who I heard it from and talked to them. It was a grease you put on the silicone BEFORE you put it in storage, not after. Again, leak test the thing.

Oh well... I will definitely leak test it

I'm back.... Still have the 20 nano running. It's now 7 years old and is fish only at the moment. I need to find coral that the file fish won't eat.

I'm reviving this because I want to get my 120 up and running. It's empty and in the basement currently. I'll need to locate a stand first, but are there a few here who could help me get it up one flight of stairs? I have a disability, so me lifting anything heavy is not gonna work. I live about 5 minutes away from malulu

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The three and a half year thread dig up, nice. Good luck with getting it running again.