• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Solar Panels

I've looked into it multiple times. The issue I was finding was the Power Purchase Agreement is a joke. Paying the same amount as I am to the electric company. And the finance was too complicated with having to gain Solar Renewable Energy Credits and selling them once a year and hope I make more than what the finance cost me for the year. Wasn't worth it for me.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked into it multiple times. The issue I was finding was the Power Purchase Agreement is a joke. Paying the same amount as I am to the electric company. And the finance was too complicated with having to gain Solar Renewable Energy Credits and selling them once a year and hope I make more than what the finance cost me for the year. Wasn't worth it for me.
that's the issue that i had....every time i go to homedepot, the folks from solar city keep trying to sign me up for them. Do you know if Nj is offering tax breaks for them?

At the time there was a tax credit. it was either 5k or 7k. Can't remember. The thing with it though is that the companies price you with the tax credit in the calculation. They require you to pay them the 5 or 7 thousand when you get the credit back in your tax return. If you don't they jack up your monthly payment.

I also looked into the Tesla Solar Roof. Really awesome concept and I would much rather prefer it over the standard panels. But it was going to cost $70,000 to do my roof. I laughed him right off the phone!

Solar city %100 A++++ had them installed on my last house and in the process of having them put on the new house from start to finish not one issue or complaint.
Btw I do not work for them

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
There a big push for NJ and solar. NJ used to be number 1 in solar but we have dropped so they are doing a push to get us back to number 1. Becareful cause there tons of scammers out there. I had a co-worker who was looking and a company did all the financial for them. Claim they would get 7k from the loan to use as they please. My co-worker kept asking where the money was and they kept coming up with one reason or another. Finally my co-worker figured out what they were doing was delaying so if he tried to cancel he would have to pay a high cancellation fee. My co-worker got wised to it and canceled before the fee went in and there was no money coming to them like the company promise

I had another co-worker who put them in and doing great but like @9supratt4 said it can be a pain.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
For now I've been ignoring them....as I don't see the pros behind it. (Aside from saving the planet) @dan_k , have you seen a return as far as energy savings?

Last edited:
For now I've been ignoring them....as I don't see the pros behind it. (Aside from saving the planet) @dan_k , have you seen a return as far as energy savings?

Sure are last house in the summer was $300-$400 to keeps it where the wife wants 70 when we changed to solar $98 a month
Now for the new house it is bigger but new so its built a lot better are electric bill has been around $250 are bill to solar will be $70

Not to be a commercial but here it goes. NRG does this as a utility, they are 100% responsible for the panels and the production of electricity. Their contract states they will generate X amount a year. Therefore if a panel needs to be replaced they do it, or else they owe me money. If you have the power utilization like I do: Pool plus 180 gallon Fish tank, my power usage was somewhat high. This provides more than half my electrical needs a month,

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I always wondered for older houses like mine if you get a leak who removes and replaces panels to fix the leak? I could never get a straight answer so when they call me I just hang up and if they knock on my door say not interested and close door.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I always wondered for older houses like mine if you get a leak who removes and replaces panels to fix the leak? I could never get a straight answer so when they call me I just hang up and if they knock on my door say not interested and close door.
For me, I have a warranty on my roof. They said for me to just call them when/if I get panels so that they can plug up any holes

@trio91
There are 2 things solar city will offer if you move.
1st the buyer has the option to take over the contract for the panels.
2nd if they don't want them solar city will move them for you for $500

Also solar city warranties your roof for the life of your lease

With mine, I don't own the panels at all. If I move the buyer can take over the contract or buy it out. If I have issues with the roof, let's say a new one, they will take the panels down, I have the roof replaced they put the panels back.