• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Something weird going on

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Okay, I noticed my corals don't look swift even my huge green nepthea appears droopy. Some millies are bleaching and zoa has this brownish algae. I used a turkey baster and blew that stuff off the zoa.
Two weeks ago added a different zoa frag, branching favia and alien eye chalice which all look good.
On Sunday added a Flameback angel which went MIA 2 days ago.
Also added a chalk bass and cleaner shrimp which are still alive.
Any ideas?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
You're still using non-RODI with Prime? Could it be the town's water? You moved there this past fall correct? I am guessing you don't QT. Did you Bayer and Coral RX your frags and used a dip on your fish? Does the brownish algae look like dino? Diatoms are more of a brownish/orangeish "dust" of sorts that usually just blows right off with a baster but can hold on in some places,etc... but usually has no string form or real thickness to it. Dinos are like a snotty/stringy cyano that can catch bubbles,etc.. Sorry for all the questions. If you don't have a RODI unit, I would go to a LFS and buy some water, and bring a sample of your tank water for them to test. Change out all your water.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I hope that is not the case as I don't have funds to buy water. Hooking up an RO/DI unit in a small place is not really ideal.
Today I swapped out my filter sock, removed carbon been in way to long. Thought I unplugged my GFO filter but nope. I replaced it as maybe leaching junk into water.
Skimmer is going crazy now.
On good note found my Flameback and its alive.

Unfortunately, most issues are due to water used. They do make a small under sink RO unit. That would be what I would recommend as well. Public water supplies change their parameters too often to reliably know what is in the water.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That won't fit under the sink with garbage disposable. I would need one I can connect and disconnect as needed. That means replacing the faucet somewhere, kitchen or bathroom. summer time can easily connect outside but winter is the problem.

I do know if I lose everything again will probably bail for good and go back to FW.
:(

That won't fit under the sink with garbage disposable. I would need one I can connect and disconnect as needed. That means replacing the faucet somewhere, kitchen or bathroom. summer time can easily connect outside but winter is the problem.

I do know if I lose everything again will probably bail for good and go back to FW.
:(

I hate hearing people bail on SW :cry:

You can do it and we can help. Do you have a bathroom sink that you can connect to? I think there are even more compact units.

When I first started I would put my RO unit in my bathtub and hook it up to the bathroom sink faucet and fill one gallon jugs up and when I was done I unhooked it and but it in the closet.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
When I first started I would put my RO unit in my bathtub and hook it up to the bathroom sink faucet and fill one gallon jugs up and when I was done I unhooked it and but it in the closet.

I would need to swap out my bathroom faucet. Plan on redoing the entire bathroom this summer if not sooner.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Was going to ride up to the meeting at OIA but need serious tank maintenance. Water is blurry and lost my flame back angel. Also realized my two RBTA are MIA. They moved and figured no biggy they always move. Well one looks dead or almost dead and will have to move rock and break a chalice to remove it. Will do a water change anD add carbon.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
What about buying RO water from an LFS in the meantime?

If you're up my way I'll give you a 5gal bucket of RO

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Do you have a brute garbage can that will stand upright in your vehicle and salt mix? If yes, I can give you 20 gallons rodi today around 6pm or on monday. I could meet you at Petco in Freehold. I made 15 gallons yesterday and I am making 5 gallons more right now. They are in portable container that I use to store water. I don't have a brute garbage can to place water in so that is why I can't let you take my portable cans. I was planning to do a water change Monday but I would be happy to give you the RODI water that I made