• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting a frag tank

I wanted to start a frag tank. Any ideas on what the best setup would be? Should I connect it to the sump of my existing DT or not? Lighting recommendations? I was thinking of 20 or 30 gallon setup.

Thanks in advance

jose

I have mine tied to my main system. I'm running a 30g deep blue with a 8x24w T5. Besides corals I have a few snails and an urchin, and an SOB wrasse that needed a time out and never left. I didn't want to deal with maintaining another tank which is why I tied it in with the rest.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
+1 to tieing into the main system and the deep blue or jbj rimless are really nice options. I also like T5s for lighting, I have them over mine.

Tie into system. That way all parameters are the same so when frags are from dt or new ones are stabilizing there is no shock.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Joe

As other pioneers already said, tie it to the system or there is no point in having one. However, I have always had issues with the frag tank. Somehow it is never as clean as my DT and yes, I keep fish and CUC in the frag tank all the time. Flow too..

Good luck.

Sunny

Joe

As other pioneers already said, tie it to the system or there is no point in having one. However, I have always had issues with the frag tank. Somehow it is never as clean as my DT and yes, I keep fish and CUC in the frag tank all the time. Flow too..

Good luck.

Sunny

Funny you should mention how the frag tank is never as clean as the DT. I have the same issue. It drives me absolutely insane. I just can't figure that out.

Do you guys get your frags from aquarium depot online? What do you think of them. The lfs are too high for just learning all this

erics210

NJRC Member
Hi Ruth, just speaking from my experience. My $150.00 orderplaced with AquariumDepot was not the best.
The aqua acro arrived in bad shape. didnt last a day or two. Couple of the 5 hermit crabs dead.
The Zoas I had gotten mostly withered away in less than a week. Out of 7 or 8 different zoas I ordered only red people eaters, yellowfaces and dragonseye survived. Chalices were nice.
All in all, you get what you pay for. Better off searching for local reefers and local shops having specials.
In my opinion...

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
personally, i have never ordered corals from online retailers, for me i like to see what im getting before i make the purchase. Also most LFS's are willing to negotiate and like @erics210 mentioned, most have sales that you can take advantage of. what LFS's have you visited @Ruth C Lewis ?

erics210

NJRC Member
Also the "radioactive dragonseye" sold to me were NOT what I see in LFS. The colors are less brilliant. Also the yellow face survived but are so small and dull compared to the photoshoped or filtered photo they display. Also the hermit crabs were hatchlings sooo tiny. Make sure you have plenty of shells on hand for upgrades.

Yea i just ordered the copepods 3 yellow polyps and 2 red people eaters and a feathercluster. This is what i got. Im shop at ocean aquarium here in mays landing. Also at aquarium center in clementon. But our friend is having a grand opening tomorrow in sicklerville called sea gems. Ill be there saturday

Attachments

• 20170406_132514.jpg
    20170406_132514.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

erics210

NJRC Member
Well, as long as those RedPeople eaters open they should be ok, BUT as I have found...
TRUE Red People Eaters have a black star burst around the center neon eye and lines from the center and black in the polyp fingers.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...OTHgskF35r_J4GP7fpf7F8QHrK_Oi6yCEw_60_QZ9xBGE

vs

The fake Red People Eaters from Indonesia (which were what I received from Aquarium Depot)
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/coral/403.jpg

The RadioActive Dragon Eye also looks a little less AWESOME than every other colony I have seen.

Im having trouble with my zoas and colors. They seem weak my levels are fine just a tad bit off of my nitrites. But my nitrates are good. I heard bout something that you do for brighter colors but idk about that

Attachments

• 20170406_233547.jpg
    20170406_233547.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
I haven't been in the hobby for a bit so correct me if I'm wrong but you should have 0 nitrites in a properly cycled tank. This may or may not brighten up your zoas but just wanted to point that out! When I used to have various kinds of zoas and palys, some of them just wouldn't brighten up the way you saw them before buying them. Might have to do with what kind of light you're running maybe? Excuse me for not looking into any of your previous posts about your tank. Just figured I'd comment on what ya said. What kind of tank do ya have anyways? Looks very nano-like which is what I'll be going for soon! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im trying idk why i have nitrites. I do my water changes...top offs...but i am waiting for another skimmer. The one i ordered was broke so im playing the waiting game for another. Would that help

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nitrites are removed (converted) by the bacteria (Nitrogen cycle) by converting it to nitrate. It's a sign that you cycle isn't complete.....large enough population of bacteria.

So what do i do now. I did take out my clown and 3 chromies. So all i have now is a tiny goby purple and yellow fish i forget the a firefish and a pipefish. A pom pom crab sexy shrimp which i havent seen and a anemone crab. I do my water changes weekly..i do put zooplankton and marine snow in like a few drops here and there. Also i put in trace elements but i dont know how often i should be putting that in so i do it usually after i move rocks water changes and when i add zoas