• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Steam Punk Lamp

Paul B

NJRC Member
I finished my Steampunk Lamp. I would like to take the credit for the design but I can't. I actually saw it on a site called "Intructables". I found it by accident and they have a lot of cool things to build or just to get ideas from. I embellished on this project by adding a water valve that is actually the switch that turns on the thing. There is an air pump inside which pumps air into the glass chamber (wine bottle)
It is built out of PVC pipe which I painted to look like aged copper. That site shows how to do that as I wasn't sure how to get that old copper look but it does look pretty good if I have to say so myself, and I do.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
HOLY EXPLETIVE!
Love it. Big fan of Steampunk style and that looks fraggin great!

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am working on a new SteamPunk Light. I just started it, it's the red fire extinguisher thing. Maybe I will make something I can put in my tank.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just about finished it. I want to put in a much more antique, more rounder bulb. And maybe a lamp cage

The gate valve turns it on.

Time to start on another one.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I make more to sell. These will go on display in an art show for a week in the spring, then I am not sure what I will do with them.
I am on a hunt to find more materials to build something else

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am working on another Steam Punk Lamp. This one has fire in it (simulated but very cool) like a boiler. It will be painted like the others and I will add al sorts of "stuff" to it. I think this one will be the best out of the three.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I almost finished the third Steampunk light it is 99.99% done. I ordered a different, antique bulb socket so this red one is temporary. This light uses a bulb that has 99 LEDs that flicker in sequence to simulate fire. It is very cool in person but the camera just washes it out. The firelight uses 3 watts. I am also almost finished with the fourth one which is built out of a vintage blow torch.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7PchYw_XM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
That base is an antique, solid brass bath tub plate that reads Hot and Cold. It was polished brass but I sanded it to look like that. If I keep sanding it doesn't look any older but I know what you mean. I have a plan to age it more lie the lamp body. Thanks for the opinion. :cool:

I wish the flame illusion looked better on a video as it really does look like fire.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So it sounds like you've already removed any varnish or lacquer. The following came from a steampunk website:

Using heat with vinegar gives a rapid result.

To get a "natural" aged brown brass finish with vinegar and heat:

1, Pour some vinegar into a plastic container and add a tablespoon or two of salt.
2, Mix well.
3, Put your pieces in mixture and let them soak for at least a few minutes.
4, Remove the pieces and dry with paper towel.
5. Place them on a cookie sheet and put them into a 450 degree oven.
6. Monitor the change, which should occur in a few minutes.
7. Remove the pieces and let cool.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks redfishblusfish. I actually knew about that and have done it. But like a two year old, I was to excited to put the thing together to do that. :D It is easy to take apart and I have to take it apart again to change the lamp socket so maybe I will age it like that.
Thanks

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just finished this Blow Torch Lamp. The little pump handle turns it on. I do realize I am getting carried away.
I am working on a smaller, blow torch lamp.