• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Steam Punk Lamp

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks Arrg. Today I will be working on my boat outdrives but all the while I am waiting for an inspiration for the next steam punk idea to hit me in the head. :stupid:
I can't start it until I know exactly what it is supposed to look like :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am very excited about this one, about half finished. This picture doesn't yet have the lights on it but it will have three. I found this phone box Circa 1940 on Etsy. I actually bought three different ones and will get some more. I have almost all of the parts and will finish it this week. The large tuner on the right will turn on two of the vintage bulbs and another antique switch will turn on and dim the other bulb.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just finished this one and like all the others, this is my favorite and the most difficult to build. The base is a telephone box from 1940. The vintage radio tuner on the right turns on the lights in the glass. The light on top has it's own switch. The "tube" on top has a red LED in it to look like it's on. The electric and electronics are in a metal, electrical box inside so it's legal and not a fire hazard because you can't wire in wood.
All I have left on it is to install an antique cord which I have. It's hard to see the lamp filaments but they are hand wound filaments and look very cool.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks, all the bulbs have that same wound filament. I just didn't install the dimmer on the bulbs in the glass yet. It is nice when they are very dim and the filiments show up.

Paul B

NJRC Member
This one is about 3/4 done. The small tube will have a red light in it and there will be some sort of dimmer knob on the front. It may also have a cage around the bulb.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
You need to drop some cash and have someone set up a professional website for you. There are folks that would pay hundreds for these, no bs.
The only way they could look better is that you balance them on the bumpy parts of supermodels when you advertise.

Paul B

NJRC Member
You need to drop some cash and have someone set up a professional website for you. There are folks that would pay hundreds for these, no bs.
The only way they could look better is that you balance them on the bumpy parts of supermodels when you advertise.

Mark. Thanks, but no need to advertise. They are all going in an art show here in New York. I was invited by an artist to display them there for one month in August. There people can buy or bid on them. Many people want to buy them now and I didn't show them yet. The art show will be on the "Miracle Mile" here on Long Island. It's the one Billy Joel mentions in the song when he says he wants to cruise the Miracle Mile.
This one will sell for about $2,600.00 and I hope it does not sell because that's the one I would like to keep for myself. The rest are much cheaper.
There are 4 Supermodels coming over here now to see them. They will also go to the art show.
After I finish one more in a 1920 telephone box (That didn't get here yet) I will be working on a SteamPunk fish. I am amassing the materials and most important the design which comes in spurts. :)
I never made a Steampunk fish so it may look like detritus when I am finished. :confused:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
........the "Miracle Mile" here on Long Island. It's the one Billy Joel mentions in the song when he says he wants to cruise the Miracle Mile........

I went to school in Miami (located in Coral Gables).....we had a Miracle Mile there as well! Are you sure he's not singing about that one? :eek:

EDIT TO ADD:

I just looked it up and Wikipedia states that the Miracle Mile in Manhasset is the one mentioned in the Billy Joel song "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me".

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I was invited by an artist to display them there for one month in August.
As I was a surviving artist for 15 years before dochood, I can offer these pieces of advice to drive up prices:
1. Aire of disinterested arrogance.
2. Beret if gauche, or top hat for eccentric.
3. Every few seconds during a conversation, become distracted, look at your hand, mutter something, then look back up as if conversation just started.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Good advice. I also may stand in the corner painting a can of Campbell soup. Or eating it. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
This one is about half completed. You can see the tubes light up. The crank mechanism was originally inside the box and it was used in 1920 as a telephone call box. It had a phone on top and when you cranked it, the bell would ring at a switchboard somewhere and you told the operator who you wanted to be connected with. I re built the mechanism and the generator now works. I am not sure yet what cranking the thing will do but it will certainly do something.

Of course it will have a large Vintage bulb on top with a cage and probably other things I have not designed yet. It will also have a gauge in front. I love this thing.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Finished. The crank turns on some very bright LEDs on the front left. The tubes and gauge light up and the bulb is dimmable. I think I will keep this one.

Paul B

NJRC Member
JRWOHLER. In post #48 I mention what will happen to these lamps. If any are left after the art show I will keep at least one and sel the rest as I have no room for all of them.

Paul B

NJRC Member
There are a few pictures of my lamps on the internet and the people I bought this last phone box put the finished lamp on their web site and it seems they are a hit. Quite a few people want to buy them. I didn't know so many people liked Steam Punk.
I am all excited to know people appreciate them. Who Knew! :biggrin:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Leonardo is actually my Idol. I don't know if he liked Steam Punk but imagine what that Man could design. :D