• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sunny's 350G build (was 150)

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Rant -

So I added a new frag tank about 4 weeks ago. I have black egg crate in there purchased from BRS. There is now a ton of brown algae over running the egg crate. I mean layers of it with bubbles. No it is not cyano nor it is dino. It is dia-atoms. Ugly looking stuff. What is weird is that it is only on egg crate. Nothing on glass or on PVC.

So frustrated.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Put in a piece of white egg crate and see if it grows on that. My first thought is that the growth is living off the mold release agent used on the egg crate.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Thanks Guys. Here is another pic under full lighting.

20161226_184931_zpsco7mjir3.jpg

Sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
How are you liking the T5 now that you have been running them a bit?

Ha!

They heat up my tank. I cannot keep TEMP down. I have to change bulbs and I cannot do it alone. They are not as bright as I want them to be.
But ... They do the job. It is like the love and hate relationship I have with my other hobby - "golf".

I am in the process to try a new bulb combo and that might give me a better eye color - nothing to do with coral color :D

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ha!

They heat up my tank. I cannot keep TEMP down. I have to change bulbs and I cannot do it alone. They are not as bright as I want them to be.
But ... They do the job. It is like the love and hate relationship I have with my other hobby - "golf".

I am in the process to try a new bulb combo and that might give me a better eye color - nothing to do with coral color :D

I have an 8 bulb on top of mine and have no real issues with temp, in the summer it will get up to 81 or so but no big deal, i usually keep the tank at 78.5. I also have mine raised about 16 inches off of the tank. I'm not sure what color you're going for but if you want bright, I had two aqua blue specials, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, and 4 blue plus and it was bright. I only changed it as i went to lps and that was too much light. take out the coral plus and throw in an actinic, you'll have plenty of light and some bright corals.

arvin

NJRC Member
Ha!

Speaking of coral colors, what additives do you add to the tank for Corals to get that color?