• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 / LED hybrid DIY

Ill update this more later but I'm bored at work so I figured id start to organize my thoughts.

Fixture is starting off as a Sunlight Supply Tek 6x39w t5 light. Dimensions are approx 35"x15"x3" around.
The light will be a 2x39w t5 and have two 6"x10" heatsinks mounted centered as a halide would sit in a combo fixture.
Ballasts will be mounted between the two heatsinks probably but I haven't decided on that.

First step was to gut the reflectors and such out to get down to the casing.
The 6 reflectors were in two parts, a 4 bulb and a 2 bulb. So I took the 2 bulb and cut it into two single reflectors.
ga2eve2u.jpg

Next, to secure the heatsinks to the fixture, I got some L shaped aluminum channel from home depot and cut it to sit flush with each side of the heatsink. Pop riveted them onto each, and then will pop rivet the channel to the fixture on the top.
jeqymyha.jpg

I haven't gotten much further because I'm waiting on some goodies to arrive before I start to wire, but the plans are all bouncing around in my head lol.

This thread should encompass pretty much all the steps needed to build your own diy led fixture, either standalone, retrofit, or making a fixture such as I am. Feel free to post any and all questions comments and concerns. I am in no way an electronics or wiring expert nor a led expert, but I'm pretty darn good at figuring things out and teaching myself new skills, so I'm certain it will turn out well.

That's a really good idea. Following along since I have the same fixture.
By the way what are you doing with the 4 bulb ballast that you removed? Do you want to get rid it if so ill take off your hands. LMK $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jose, I haven't decided if I am going to get rid of the extras from the t5 but if I do I will absolutely let you know.

Bry, I'm going to be cutting an acrylic sheild for the entire fixture.

The ballasts will have a seperate fan as well as both heatsinks, so three 120mm fans will be mounted to the fixture from the top. I am going to use a router to cut openings in the top of the fixture for mounting the fans directly above the components they will cool. Possinly throw a few 50-80mm fans on the ends but it will be difficult with the mounting legs there.

I am doing rough layouts of the leds on the heatsinks now, and I am thinking of going with a triangle pattern for the whites, blues, and royals. I will have other colors such as "uv" cyan, and red Mixed in but placed symmetrically through the heatsink rather than in the patterns containing the blues and whites.

This is supposed to avoid "spotlighting" in the tank, where you can see definite different colors penetrating through the water, or even reflecting on corals.

Herws the start.
u5eny8aj.jpg

Those are cree XM-L cool whites, and cree XP-G royal blues. XP-G "cool blue" will complete the patterns with these, and then uv, cyan, and red will be placed throught the rest of the light.

Channels are looking to be 2 channels of royal blue, 1 of blue, one of white, and one with the uv/red.

I'm gonna stay on top of this thread if Things work out for you I'm going to be copying your idea. Lol

I'm gonna stay on top of this thread if Things work out for you I'm going to be copying your idea. Lol

I know everything is going to work and do well on just the leds because I've done a just led fixture before and ran it for about a year, but I am hoping the t5 will be even better color and growth wise.

In either case if you decide to do something like this I'd be more than happy to help.

Side note, got most of the leds in place. Added 3 uv to each fixture *** well as reds.

I'm going to be following along also. I currently have two 4x80 watt ATI fixtures over my tank. I'm debating whether to add a DIY led fixture between the two of them, pulling two bulbs from each and adding leds like you are, or getting 2 or 3 buildmyled fixtures and mounting them the the t5 fixtures. Are you planning on making yours dimmable?

Layed out the leds in probably their final configuration. Might change one or two little things but should be just like this. I have to find some thermal adhesive since radio shack stopped carrying as7 apparently.

zudynuqa.jpg

abe9ybug.jpg

All I've got for tonight. Got T-boned by a guy making an illegal turn so I'm in the hospital for a little. (I'm physically ok)

Thanks guys.

Still going over in my head the wiring schematic for all of the different channels. That and the ac adapter for the 3 120mm cpu fans. Too tired to work on it today but ill have a good amount of time tomorrow

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Xavier glade to here you are doing better.
I'm following along. When it is all done will you tell us how much it cost you?

I'm in the process of soldering all of the wiring right now, tomorrow I will be assembling the fixture (hopefully, its designated girlfriend day haha)

After that I will have a final list of individual leds, ballasts, etc. I cheated, bought a whole assembly from someone lightly used for probably .10 on the dollar lol so I will post up the retail pricing of the components I am using as well as where to get them all.

The fixture will be two panels of 22 leds total, running on 3 different dimmable channels and 4 seperate ballasts. At the end I will make an extremely detailed post walking through all the steps and individual configurations of the electrical components etc.

Please post up any questions you might have, I welcome all fish related discussions lol gives me a break from my boring days.

Blam, wiring on the fixture itself done.

Almost...
ume5u2ap.jpg

Got it.
umuve2em.jpg

Test fire on the blues.
yjuhava8.jpg

Tomorrow they go into the fixture, I will mount the fans on the top outside of the fixture, and then figure out what I'm going to do with the ballasts. Probably going to put them horizontally across the middle, between the two heatsinks, keeping everything self-contained.

Few more hours worth of work left, but it will all be very worthwhile when it is done.

Heatsinks mounted, fans mounted and holes cut in the fixture for ventilation.

Was waiting for confirmation on a wiring question for the ballasts and I just got it so after the ravens game ill be wiring the ballasts and dimmers.

8uryqusa.jpg