• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

T5 tek light....not lighting

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So I have one of these guys on my frag tank, I just replaced the bulbs a few weeks ago....I had It on a timer and it's been working fine.

I come home tonight and the light is off...tried turning on n off, removed it from the timer i even banged it a lil and still nothing. Any help on this?

Having dealt with t5 fixtures before typically when this happens it means your ballast has gone bad. Not sure if they make one for your specific light look at the part number, but they are typically cheap to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Having dealt with t5 fixtures before typically when this happens it means your ballast has gone bad. Not sure if they make one for your specific light look at the part number, but they are typically cheap to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was hoping didn't happen....what's funny is that 2 out of the 4 bulbs are off. I guess I should take it apart and see

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
2 out of 4 bulbs means you have 2 ballasts and 1 went bad.

Follow the wires from the end caps that aren't working. They will lead to the bad ballast.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I was hoping that wasn't It....but ok this weekend I'm going to take it apart, take pix and keep peeps in the loop

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Does anybody know if I can use an ati ballasts? I was reading on the workhorse brand but its got some "so-so" reviews.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Almost all t5 ballasts will work. The only difference in them are how long the wires are and how long the ballast is. So holes might not line up to mount it. Most lights have multiple mounting positions so not a big deal

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So on this, right now I'm just sticking with the 2 bulbs....I just haven't had time to take it apart