• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank and container discussion

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As stated in the rules, 2.5g maximum, your choice on size and style.

This forum is for discussion involving tank choices.
Why did you use this tank?
Where did you get it?
Cost?
Ar you drilling it? How?

Reply to this thread with all tank related questions, discussions, and links.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ha! found this at Marshalls for $15.

IMG_6221.jpg

Was tempted to go creative, but would be a pain to clean.

Instead, I went a bit more traditional, 2.5g, with a glass top to help prevent evap.
The spout sits about 2" above the base so I'm hoping to go with a sandbed.
Ordered a 'food grade' plastic upgraded spout (plus a spare) and modified it (see my build) to prevent snail entry.
Should be easy cleaning and esay (hopefully) water changes.
$15 at Home Goods.

IMG_6162.jpg

I considered lots of containers. I felt the glass dispersers with spigots on the bottom best represented the spirit of the challenge. While there are many interesting containers, none met my primary condition; I wanted a container that was free enough of distortion and clear enough to take photos. A few are shown below. And it they were, they were 3 gallons. My biggest concern was the life of the spigot.
81V+ga3xStL._SL1500_[1].jpg 41BdfK26bUL[1].jpg
I thought an interesting take on the Drink Tank challenge would be to use a pitcher. I wanted to hide an air stone and heater wire, and though a hollow handle would do the trick. It looked like the new Britta filter had a hollow handle. My wife purchased one. Its handle was hollow, just not open to the pitcher. I felt the new one had too many seams and I didn't like the way it reflected light. But it was nice and open. The older Britta had flatter sides, but already had scratches in the side. Changing water by pouring wasn't practical.
IMG_5665.JPG IMG_5667.JPG

Last edited:
I drilled my container for a spigot. I used a 5/8 diamond circular saw bit, which is overkill since the back panel was not glass. I do have the bit if someone else wants to use it on non-tempered glass.