• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
You have me laughing so hard! :roflmao:

It just hit me...is the song from the '60 "Surfin' Bird" sung by The Trashmen about females?

Paul B

NJRC Member
I went to a Doctor today with my wife because she needed some tests done and I needed a Doctor to fill out my papers to renew my Coast Guard Captains License.

The doctor was in my Union Hall.
So we get there and they call me to see the doctor. The Doctor was a thin older woman with long blond hair. She was very nice and we talked a while and she asked about all the diseases that I don't have and never want. I am pretty healthy.
So after a while she hands me this small paper "gown" which looked more like a see through napkin and tells me to take off all my clothes. I said, wait a minute, I just would like you to fill out these medical forms, and besides, I just met you.
She said, I can't fill out the forms until I examine you.

So I figured she wanted to listen to my heart, blood pressure, lungs and all that.
So I am laying on the examining bed thing wearing this piece of paper and I see her lift her skinny arms up in the air while she put on these blue examining gloves.

I said, Wait a minute! "what do you need those for?"

As she walked over to me she lifted the napkin I was wearing and said, "Don't you want me to test your prostate? ". Like, "NO"!!!! I really don't. Most parts of me function fine and that is one of them.

She said, "It's really no problem". I said for you maybe, I just had that done last Tuesday thank you very much.

She did "need" to examine "other " parts of me and I couldn't wait to get out of there as I never had a woman doctor need to examine me so thoroughly, especially to fill out a form.

So I ran, I mean, I got out of there and took my wife for lunch.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Someone asked me about Selcon. If you are feeding live things such as worms or the right frozen things like clams, Selcon is not only not needed, but you can't make Selcon stick to wet or frozen foods. It will just wash off as soon as you put it in the water. If you feel you need to use Selcon you can put it on something freeze dried where it will absorb nicely.
But real food, especially live food has everything in it a fish needs.. Clams are my favorite food because they are filter feeders and full of minerals including calcium which is one mineral that fish normally eat a lot of because their fish prey has a skeleton that fish digest and that is made of calcium. I use live worms, blackworms and whiteworms mainly for the live bacteria and to get and keep fish immune they need the correct live bacteria every day, Good and bad bacteria.
I occasionally lose a fish but never from a disease. They get old or get bitten. Sometimes they jump out or I assume, like people they can get some internal disease or injury that we can't diagnose or even see. I also have seen my fish try to jump out and smash themselves against the light, that has to cause something.
Occasionally at night I hear a splash and can only imagine if they are chasing each other where one or both of them jump and hit something.
But fish should never get sick and if you get them immune, they never do. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have not seen that clingfish in quite a while unless he is under the UG filter. I can't see the back of my tank so he could be there somewhere or dried up under the tank which I also can't see much of.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am going out east near where my new condo is today and I will also try to collect some water here. The last time there was to much ice and the waves would have sunk the Titanic so I wimped out and didn't get any water except where the waves broke over my head. Hopefully it will be calmer. I will try to get 15 gallons and some sand. There is no mud there but the bacteria in the sand is almost as good.
The Long Island Sound is 27 miles across here so it may as well be the Atlantic Ocean. The water is very clean and I have used it many times. I just have to strain it because it is so rough this time of the year that it is filled with floating particles and pieces of seaweed.

Paul B

NJRC Member
It was almost as bad today with much less ice. But the waves still made it not worth it to get any water. I would have gotten soaked so another 150 miles and no water. :(

Paul B

NJRC Member
Today, and yesterday I am kind of sick and I very rarely get sick. But I am not as immune as my fish, I think that is because I have Grand Kids. I think I may have a touch of HLLE or velvet so my wife is giving me fresh water dips and dosing me with Przapro and coppersafe. My pH is 8.4 but my PO4 is a little high.

My wife noticed I was sick because I was breathing air up near my ceiling.

I am only drinking RO/DI water and making sure the temperature is 78 degrees. I ordered some blackworms and will mix those with a little Mastick so I can stick them on the wall and I can snack off of that all day.
I will also darken the lights and keep my bully neighbors away.

Paul B

NJRC Member
My eyes are cloudy and I have a little finger rot and my wife noticed some spots behind my ears. I think it's a little ich with a bacterial infection

Paul B

NJRC Member
This is how many of these cute little guys I removed from my glass every day for the last 3 days, and it is full again. I am experimenting with them even though they hate that. :eek:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just looked up UG filters for 125 gallon tanks and they are getting hard to find. I need one for my move and I don't have time to build one. I am sure they still make them, I just need a little more time to search.
I will also get a 125 gallon tank. Initially I will use my water cooled LED lights but I may have to add another string of LEDs to light the thing properly.

My 3 powerheads will be fine at first and I hope to bring all my rocks and corals but I am sure I will lose quite a few corals especially the montiora's because they are so delicate I broke most of them already and thy are laying all over the place. They grow fast so I am not concerned. :cool:

I will also have to make a list of my fish so I don't miss any. Most of them are small and hide all over the place, I may even find some under the UG filter that I haven't seen in years. That would be cool.:D