• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tom's 250g+ System Build

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Thought it was about time to get this thread started seeing as the build process has begun.

As some of you know, we have been contemplating a substantial addition to our home. We finally bit the bullet and started the process. Construction started just under a month ago and is moving along well.

The end result will be 800sq ft of additional living space with a dedicated 5x10 fish room and peninsula display tank in the living area

Framing should be finished by mid next week. Here's a few pics of where we are currently at.

1d416a0245fa5a53e588509347acf62b.jpg

a04900237ab8047a6641ca788cef7aa3.jpg

2e7a2ec4c9589b6874f4661870374dfd.jpg

The display is getting here this weekend. Raffle King is driving it up for me. It's a 48x30x27 custome with coast to coast external overflow from a old member.

Sump will be a 70g Rubbermaid stock tank. The return will feed a 40b display fuge with mangroves, frag tank and reactors. Skimmer will be an RO xp3000 external. Flow will be a few tunze 6095 and a gyre 150. Lighting in the form of 3 AI hydras and some T5 tubes.

Right now I'm torn between continuing to dose two part or moving to a calc reactor. With this kind of volume it may may make more long term sense to go with a reactor. We will see. That's a decision for down the line.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Good to see you're not going overboard ;)

I may have some time Saturday. Give me a call if you still need a hand (can also drop the 40 off).

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Awesome! Congrats Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Good to see you're not going overboard ;)

I may have some time Saturday. Give me a call if you still need a hand (can also drop the 40 off).
I should be good. I'll be in touch re the tank
Last week was nuts

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Also looking for some pointers on a return pump. Iv been running a waveline dc6000 on my current system. Love it. Was thinking of steping up to a 12000 version which is rated at 3170 gph at zero head full blast. I'm going to have about 6ft of head and would really like to run everything of one return pump. My return manifold will need to run a fuge, frag tank, 2 reactors and my external skimmer feed. This pump might be a little over kill but run it at at a low speed obviously. Also like the fact it can be run internal or external as I haven't decided that yet.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Tony and Terri dropped off the tank this am. This thing is going to be sweet. In the mean time i ended up buying a geo618 calc reactor and reef fanatic regulator plus pumps on RC for a steal so i guess im going the reactor route. The construction is really moving. Contractor told me that the roofer would be here monday. But when i get home from watching the rugby with a buddy they are already half done! windows are all in and exterior sheathing complete! once the roof is finished we have one last inspections and then all the rough utilities get taken care of. I better start cooking some rock!!!!

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
My wife is starting to give me looks. Everyday some other box turns up on the front door withy name on it and is added to the pile in the garage.

Sheathing is all done. Roofers are ready to go as soon as we get the final framing inspection. HVAC and siding should be started by the end of the week.

fe9cf13ece258d3d57a413084a4ca865.jpg

Here's the bones of the fishroom:

ff85c3c46fe6439285a0194dfb621b08.jpg

I'll be installing a quality vent fan that is tied to a humidistat to assist with climate control. I'm also going to diy a "shower pan" for lack of a better description that my sump etc will sit in so that I can have an emergency floor drain for the inevitable floods that seem to follow this hobby.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Awesome progress!!! Can't wait to see the final product. What size display are you going with?

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Siding will all be finished by tomorrow. Electrical, plumbing and HVAC start early next week.

029dad22e7fd23bdcd8787944efaf3b1.jpg

Had 150lb of Marco rock delivered this week. Going start putting a scape together and then I'll soak the rock.