• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Useless and marginal products I have purchased over the years

phil519 said:
The Hang on the Back Refugiums.

First off - maintenance is a huge pita.

Second of all - the amount of "refuge" is limited and by it's design - not optimal (small surface area). Save your money and use it to set up a under the tank sump with a fug.

Finally - in my opinion the fug should be fed water either from the return or AFTER the skimmer. Water coming direct from the display is nasty and makes a mess of things. See point #1 and you're in a never ending cycle.

I have to agree with you here. The one I had did all those things. In addition, the hanger things broke and sent the thing crashing down into my sump, breaking a chunk out of that. Luckily I was home, and was able to fix things quickly and only had a minor flood.

vangvace said:
Corallife digital thermometers.

I second that.
afterIfixed.jpg

Let's see what I've got....

HOB skimmer - check AquaC Remora
HOB fuge - check CPR small
WON Titanium heaters - check, 5 years old
Liquid PH test kit - check

I love to live on the edge. ;D

I agree with billy, the pinpoint calcium monitor. the worst $285 bucks i wasted. first off, it does not monitor, second I replaced the probe 5 times and still didnt get it to function.
junk

blange3 said:
phil519 said:
Crushed Coral and UnderwaterGravelFilters - perfect together! :p

I had a tank like that run for over 5 years as well! ;)

These are products that I'd consider obsolete by today's standards, rather than useless or marginal. In other words, they do work, but there are much better ways to do things today.

I'd also add trickle filters, normal output fluorescent lighting except over FO systems, canister filters as a main filter, and most all air stone based skimmers, to the list of obsolete products.

reneeRN said:
I agree with billy, the pinpoint calcium monitor. the worst $285 bucks i wasted. first off, it does not monitor, second I replaced the probe 5 times and still didnt get it to function.
junk

Glad I read that! LOL! I was actually considering one of those!

I have no objection, but I think that is that area the moderators to do that. Perhaps they will consider that giving this thread that honor.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
DaveK said:
I have no objection, but I think that is that area the moderators to do that. Perhaps they will consider that giving this thread that honor.

It's done. Let's see some more money wasters!

I would also add MH fixtures using 250w or larger bulbs and that don't use electronic ballasts.

A traditional coil and core ballast uses about 50% more electricity compared to an electronic ballast. Over one year, the savings in electricity will more than pay for the more expensive electronic ballast. From then on it's a cost saving.

I'll add the FINNEX protein skimmers are garbage...one came free with my sump, and i now know why. After 3 months, it hasn't produced a single ounce of foam. The adjustments only set the water level, and that doesn't produce any more/less. I'll be tossing it soon.

+1 to Won Brothers Heaters i had two of them when i started my tank and they leaked this white ooze into the water. luckily all i had in the tank was water, i drained and started over with jager heaters.

+1 to the wet/dry filters with and without built in skimmers. the skimmers are absolutely terible might as well not have one.

+1 on can't live without the aquacontroller

+1 on the best skimmer you can afford (empty the bank account on this one!)

Coralife Power Center, not useless but not worth the risk of fire.

Pinpoint wireless thermometer with remote sensors.

Thermometer is inaccurate with varyling levels of inaccuracies depending on temp (can be off by 0.8 - 1.5 with no rhyme or reason). Not able to calibrate so cannot correct for the inaccuracies. Refresh interval can be quite a long time and constant loss of RF signal even when very close with LOS. Warranty on sensor is only 30 days and have had 2 fail before 6 months of use.