• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hi everyone my name is Bob
I'm getting a bit older(almost 50, man thats old). I have been keeing salt water fish since the early 1970's. In the last few years i have really gotten interested in reef aquariums. A couple years ago i found the NJRC and have learned soo much from all of you. In those years i have seen alot of people come and go and some friends i made i truley miss.
I live in Winslow Township, Camden County NJ. I have lived here all my life.
Looking forward to getting to know all the new faces alot better.
I currently have three tanks. 150 FOWLR, 55 LPS and softie tank, 120 SPS and clam tank

bob

Hi everyone! My name is Bill.

I'm a couple of years older than Bob; I hope that doesn't make me the senior citizen of the group! :eek:

I'm married and have two kids in college, which is why my main tank is a 55gal for softies and LPS, instead of a 200+ monster with all the toys. ;)

I started with freshwater when I was 7, salt the first year Underwater World opened, and reefs 5 years ago. I had a lengthy interruption not long after I started due to health and employment issues. All is well now and I'm geeting back into the swing of reefin'. ;D

Hello Everyone
My name is Dan and I have been a addicted to reefs for many years now :p
Ok ok - I have a 180gal which contains mostly softies.
I am not into a lot of maintainance so the only equipment I have set up now is a protein skimmer and thats about it.
I will eventually install the Calc Reactor that I bought a year ago as well as a phosphate reactor.
Here is a link to my website (via Verizons cheesy and slow linkage)
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7m5h6/index.html
Pictures are kind of old but I will be updating them soon.

I am married with two boys, 7 & 3 yrs old and live in South Orange.

I am currently about to rebuild my refugium (55 gal now - going to a 75)
as well as my hood and would really appreciate some good tips and tricks.

For example - I use 3, 250watt DE MH bulbs for lighting now - should they be mounted lengthwise or 90 degrees above the tank - Never got a clear answer on that one!

I am also looking for some good refug designs for the new 75 gal.

I look forward to meeting you all at the November meeting.

Dan

C

concept3

Welcome to the Club Dan! We'll have our "in club" refugium/sump/topdown box *ahem* :) builder attending the November meeting (RichT). He should also be able to give you a few insights on a custom fuge setup. He just built one for Bob (Ruden), and I think he just got done with Jerry's (jer1198).

Looking forward to see all the new members soon!

Nice looking setup you have there! I'm starting to itch and might be going to the "dark side" myself soon......

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
concept3 said:
might be going to the "dark side" myself soon......

Hmmmmmm......leaving your self wide open there Merv.....Hmmmmmmm....the "dark side"

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As best I can figure he's either having children or getting soft...ies. Whew. That was difficult to even say! ;D

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was thinking soft...ies or ma...ma....ma...married. Whew!!!! that was even harder to say :D

Okay here goes, and I'll try to keep it short.

I got my first saltwater tank when I was in 7th grade, I'm 31 now, you can do the math. That was back when undergravel was the way to go, then I went through the whole canister filter thing, so on and so forth I've seen it all pretty much.

My first reef was in 1996 (I think) and I've learned a lot along the way. I went from my first reef a 30 gallon, to a 55, to a 90, to a 90 and 120, to a 180, back to a 120 and now to my current 180.

My current tank is a new perfecto prestige stand and top, by the way very well made. Reef ready with 3 400w MH 20k XM's with VHO supplement. Have a DAS skimmer (exact same thing as a Deltec), Coralife Ozone 100mg, Aquanetics UV, K2R reactor. A cluster of maxijet 1200's on a red sea wave maker and I forget the name of the return pump I use but it's like 1500 GPH.

The tank is all SPS, well was. As some of you know I Lost most (95%) of my coral in my recent move into my new tank from my old 120. However thanks to some very nice donations (and you know who you are) and purchases from the club's frag pond, and I call it a pond b/c it is massive. Along with a recent purchase from DR Mac of a few aquacultured pieces I am back to having some nice SPS. Now I get to sit back and watch them grow. I've never been to concerned with what type of coral I have just like to watch them grown. All though I do have a soft spot for the superman.

I do owe an apology I wil post pics of all of my new frags when I get the time, I've been very busy of late.

As for me I design supply chain systrems (software) for major global retailers. I've been married for 6 months and yes my wife is slowly coming over to the dark side.

This is my current tank, Like I said I will try and post pics as soon as I can.

The below pics are the progressoin of the set up of the new tank.

2005_1127Moving_Day0001.jpg

2005_1127Moving_Day0006.jpg

2005_1127Moving_Day0009.jpg

2005_1127Moving_Day0012.jpg

2005_1127Moving_Day0076.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know that we have had a bunch of new members lately...

Lets get on with the introductions!

Don't make me start calling people out! ;D

hey everyone. Just found the site and wanted to say "hi". My name is Mike and I currently have a 55 gallon setup and am hopefully moving up to a 75. It's not really a reef tank yet, only have about 8 corals.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Mike!

Welcome To NJRC!

Glad you could join us!

8 Corals in a tank makes it a reef tank for sure!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Hello all,

Allow myself to introduce...myself.

I started out as a child (ahh, that's Cosby's bit! Sorry!)

It all started for me with a free 10 gl tank from a friend. I had another friend who was into fresh water big time and he helped me find good LFSs. Soon (like a week later) I bought a nice used 30 gl hex which I stocked with the usual Tetras and Angels etc. Got into planted tanks as well and about 6 months later the friend (fiend?) upgraded from a 100gl to a 250 gl (someone else's divorce was his boon) I got the 100 gl after helping him move and setup the 250. I aquired a few 10 gl and an old school 15 gl with the metal sides and slate bottom (still have in storage). I also got into Chiclids because I am a glutton for punishment.

Last year I decided to jump to salt. After hearing for years that it 'too difficult' and 'too expensive', I found that it was much easier than I had feared. It is pricey at times, but that's because its worth it :D.

I currently have a 30 gl hex with Chilids, a 29 gl with Chilids, a 10 gal Tetra tank that I ignore and the 65 gl salt tank, with LR. I want to get into corals, but I need to get the lighting upgraded first.

The tank currently has 3 Chromis, 1 maroon Clown, 1 Diamond Watchman goby, a 6 line wrasse, a funky anemone whose name escapes me and snails etc.

I would also like some feedback on protein skimmers, I am looking into them now and am not sure as the prices eems to vary greatly.

BTW I found out about this forum from someone who came into my surgical supply store in Toms River and recommended it. I don't know his name but thanks!

Cheers,
Jim Laing

C

concept3

look into ASM skimmers, great skimmers at a very affordable price.  Do the recirculation mod, they make them more efficient to their already efficient design.  I don't have one because I can't fit it in my sump...otherwise, I would have had one already!

Welcome to the forums, Jim and Mike!

welcome to the club Jim, yes look into the asm'sor euro-reef, both of them really good skimers, and what kind of corals you want to keep??
SPS, LPS, Softies??
Gabriel 8)

Hello my name is Dean I live in cinnaminson, nj. Have had fresh water tanks since childhood. Got rid of all my equipment when I purchased are new house. Well last month I went and purchased a 54 gallon corner tank. It is amazing how much more there is to learn about this hobby. I can't stay away from my LFS. I have quickly become obssesed. I have a wife and three children. Would like to come to feb. meeting, can i pay dues there? Let me know, great site answered many ?
Thank you all,
Dean