• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Well, I guess its my turn ;)

I'm 22 from Toms River. I've been in this house pretty much my whole life. I graduated from Richard Stockton College about two years ago with my BS in CS and now I work as a web developer for a company here in Toms River creating a web based Student Information System. Before I get into my short fish background, my other hobbies are home theaters, video games/home arcades, and motorcycles. I have to get a new bike because I went to Jenkinsons Aquarium in September.. and it got stolen! :eek:

Anyway... I started a little over a year ago with Freshwater. I have a 46g Bow front with 3 Angels, a Jack Dempsey, a Butterfly fish and a Prawn. I got very interested in fish keeping, and moved onto another smaller tank 10 g, which housed the JD, but I moved him, and thats now empty. Around the end of October,I finally got a 20L plumbed and started my plunge into SW. I absolutely love it!

You can see my tank below. I've been doing pretty well so far I'd say. Not many problems at all. Except I get a film on the top of my water, and can't figure out what to do about that, and I'm also having trouble finding 1/4 inch glass at a reasonable price to make a sump with a 20 tall :)

Below is my current tank shot.. I don't plan on doing too much more with the tank.. I'm thinking about getting rid of my FW (any one interested?) or eventually buying a larger tank (120 or so.. something long, and shallow is what I want) but thats for another day, when I have the money :D

If anyone is interested in talking about Reef keeping or home arcade building, I'm always around :)

I hope to meet you all at a meeting soon and hope to be quite involved.

fts1.gif

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi, Whitebird1, tell a bit of a story about yourself, hobby addiction, etc!

Hi my names Greg
Born and raised at Jersey Shore. Fishing Tackle Wholesale Rep. NJ Territory.
Have a couple of Boats, a lot of tackle and spend a lot of time on the water.
Always kept tanks, started keeping salts about 15 years ago, Fish only. Now I am upgrading to reef setups and am on a big learning curve, think I made every newbie oops that I could. One thing that you all may find interesting is that i made a hobby of collecting tropical's that wander into our waters. Iv kept many long term myself, given them to friends and have donated many to public aquariums. JENKINSON'S AQUARIUM in Point Pleasent currently displays my Cobia, Black Grouper and Lookdowns. They call me now with requests for their collection. Most of what I find I theorize work their way to our waters as juveniles from the south and settle in to our bays. Most would not make it thru the winter. Examples; Lookdowns, Multiple types of Snappers, Groupers. Squirrelfish, Queen Angles. Pink big eyes, Spiny puffers. Jacks. My favorite's Chaetodon ocellatus, Spotfin butterfly fish very nice fish, I have kept as many as 15 at one time. The second is the Seahorses,  Hippocampus erectus, Lined seahorse. When I have extra ill offer them free or trade to good homes, ill post what I have come summer.
I am currently cycling 3 tanks at once, major oops!
Twin Aqua Pods 12 gals One for reef, one for the seahorses come summer.
One 29 gal for Fish
also have one 10 gal set up as a quarantine Tank.
and of course a 5 gal freshwater just cause I have it.
That should cover about me.
Nice to meet you all!

Hello everyone.

My name is Mark and I live in Hamilton NJ. (Mercer County). I started in the hobby about 8 years ago with a 75 gallon FOWLR. A few months later I got the bug for corals and started with some shrooms and SPS caulastrea which I have fragged and keep in a 30 gal in the basement. The 75 drains to a 50 gallon rubbermaid agricultural tub in the basement that I use as a sump to house skimmer heaters UV sterilizer etc. As luck would have it, the  75 in the den has one foot of space on each side. Anyone want to try to convince my wife that a 180 or 210 would fit nicely?  I know I haven't had much luck.  :-\
I presently work for NJDOT as a Traffic Investigator ??? and am retired from law enforcement.  Married with 2 kids, son Dan In USAF presently in Iraq and a daughter Emily now graduated from Drexel and working for a computer consultation firm in Philly. One dog, one cat, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, Red Flame Angel, Juvinile Imperator Angel, and a Mandarin fish and various LPS, Softies and Mushrooms. All get along well.  Although I have been in the hobby for 8 years my knowledge is limited compared to most of you in NJRC.  I'm looking forward to making some meetings and getting involved. . 

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Greg & Mark. Thanks for the background. We look forward to seeing you around the club.

Let me take a stab at it.

My name is Joe and I live in Springfield with Alyssa, my 2 year old daughter, and Michele, my wife of 7 years.  I was born and raised in Jersey with a short stint out West for college.  Currently working as an Earth Science teacher in Kearny High School, the school I graduated from years back.  Weird feeling referring to people by first name, when the last time you saw them they were your teachers.  All in all, it took me about 12 years to find what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and this is it.

I have started to come into the hobby abit more as of late, and within the last month, driving to peoples homes for frags, I have met more people in the past month or so, then I have in the 5 years I have been in this hobby.  Thank you to all that have opened your home to allow me in to see your setup and sell me a piece of something you are proud of.

I came into this saltwater hobby about 5 years ago because of the large influence from my uncle.  My uncle has had saltwater for about 20 years and I have always admired it.  After going to his home, time after time, and seeing his tank, I finally decided to take the plunge.  I bought my 120 from a guy who was in the process of a divorce and he had to get the stuff out.  So on a cold December morning, I loaded up my truck and my uncle's with what soon would become my current tank.

For about 4 years I suffered an ongoing struggle with algae, and I would every week rip off clumps, of algae, and remove rock and scrub it weekly, then it all changed one day.  We had carpenter ants, and needed the house to be fumigated.  I told them about the tank, I closed the tank up, shut down the return pump, skimmer and left the powerheads on to turn over the water.  Plus side, all the ants are gone, negative side, all fish died.  Had most of the fish from the start of the tank, and that day really, really hurt.  I had never lost a family pet, and this was my first, and it hurt.  At this point, I decided to empty it out, move it across my room, upgrade some stuff and crank it up.  Removed all the rock, triple washed it, restructured it, started a refugium made hardware changes, put the sump in the basement and started up again.  6 months later, the tank has never looked better and I am so pleased.

That's me, sitting back waiting for the frags to grow.  Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Joe
100_3293.jpg
[/img]

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice tank, Joe! Welcome and we look foward to meeting you and the family at the next meeting.

Is is FLip TimE?....

Ok my name is Stevie 100% filipino born and raise in PINAS..I live in washington township (warren county).
I've been doing SW for almost 5 yrs but a yr ago converted on doing reef which I find it more intersting and somehow expensve .... I am also in the process of buliding my 120gallon which I will finish when I get back from orlando this week. here is the pic of my 75gallon "Manila bay"...

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 130
  • sideview1[1].jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 134
Hello to all,

I am Evan Manaresi, I am 22 years old and grew up on the south Jersey shore near Long Beach Island. I went to school at Cedarville University in Ohio and I and my wife Kristyn currently live in Egg Harbor City (just west of Atlantic City). Besides this wonderful hobby, I enjoy working on cars and fishing. I worked on a charter fishing boat when I was home from college and currnetly work as a manufacturer's rep for Viking Yachts (we build semi-custom sportfishing yachts).

When I was young, we always had freshwater aquariums. We had community tanks, cichlid tanks, and the like. However, I always dreamed of having a saltwater tank but was always told they were too hard and too expensive (I guess they were right about being too expensive, LOL). Anyway, after getting married as a college Junior in college, we decided to scrape some pennies together and set up a nano-reef tank. I never learned so much so fast in all of my life. Anyway, I sold the nano-reef when I moved back to Jersey and just bought a 55 gallon reef from a co-worker a few days ago. The tank is old, about 5-8 years, and you can tell by the equipment it came with : P However, it has some awesome live rock and some huge, old fish in it. I am slowly beginning to add coral frags and have plans of adding a sump and refugium. Luckily for me (and my budget), I am very handy and love to DIY anything I can! Also, at work we use many materials that are common in the aquarium hoby and I can often acquire scrap material for my own projects. Anyway, I think I have gone on long enough. It is great to meet all of you guys and I hope to get to know some of you better.

Oh yeah, if any of you want to back up any of your corals, I would be more than glad to house a few frags : )

C ya soon

C

concept3

Hey Evan, nice to see another "local" guy near me. I have a few frags that need housing, only problem is it's all sticks....

welcome again!

Hello group!

My name is Guy... I alive in Middlesex County. Married 6 Years and a proud Daddy of a gorgeous little man named Guy (after his grandfather, the 3rd generation 'Guy' in the family) and also have another little man on the way. He is due Sept. 14th. His name is Cory... Can't wait to meet him.

As far as beeing an aquarist... I really can't say that I am. I have always been facinated with aquariums but I have very recently taken the plundge...

I have a 30 Gallon Tank that is currently Cycling. I have about 40 Pounds of Live Sand and approx. 22 Pounds of Live Rock. Things are going well so far I suppose. I am beginning to understand the patience is a virtue here.

I have just joined the group and paid my dues as well. I sent in the application and hope to hear from someone soon actually accepting me into the group. If I am worthy of course... ;D

Mainly, for now I will most likely be asking a ton of questions. I can already see that I have made a few bad decisions with my setup and equipment. All in all though, I am glad that I have not gotten far before finding this group and other sources of support like ReefCentral.com

I hope to eventually give support in the future to someone that is in my shoes today. This Hobby has grabbed a hold of me and I can see that I am going to be in it for the long haul. That is hopefully with the support of a group like this!

Well... Thats about it for now. Feel free to email me anytime.

GuyMaltais@yahoo.com

Stay Well!
Guy

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Guy, Welcome to the club! We have meetings every month that are a great way to meet other reefers, see other set-ups and get tons of answers to questions. The next meeting is in Jackson (right near Great Adventure) on June 25. If you're free, bring the family and stop on by. There should be plenty of other children and non-reef related stuff to keep them busy.

Welcome, again!

Hey guy,

Welcome to the club. Post a list of your equipment and i'm sure we can straighten you out. Best to fix things now before you start adding livestock.

~Chris

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Guy,

Welcome to the club.. It's a great resource.. you can learn how to go from a 40 gallon
to a 300 gallon in a years time! lol

You should be getting access to the member forums in the next day or two. Then in a few weeks you will get
a membership card as well.

To reiterate what John said.. Try to make a meeting, seeing other setups really does help you gain a better understanding of reefing in general, plus you can meet some really great people, who do what it takes to help you out

Have Fun!