• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Ok My name is Ed.

I just joined the website this week and will be completely joining the club soon. I have been in the hobby for about 2 years now. My brother in law Keith got me into the hobby and started my obbession. Thanks Keith
I started with a 20 reef tank Gallon tank. I had it for about 3 months and wanted to upgrade. I went on EBay and upgraded to a 30 Gallon tank. I ran both the 20 and 30 for about 6 months in Clark NJ. Then my wife and I bought a house and moved to Robbinsville in Mercer County. When we moved in we combined the two into a 55 gallon reef ready all glass tank. Then a few months later Keith my brother in law and my sister moved out of state and gave us there 90 gallon All Glass reef ready tank. My father in law has a wood shop in his basement and helped me build my stand. We also drilled holes in the floor in my living room to run pipes from the over flow to a the 55 gallon Rubbermaid pond tub where I grow Xenia, xoas, crabs, snails, and many other types of Frags.
Here is a pic of the main tank

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 185
Welcome Ed!

Joining the club has been a great experience for me! Lots of great people that are willing to help.

The tank looks great, really love the woodwork. Hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Bill

Welcome to the club! This is a GREAT group of folks that really know the craft... Good to have you here!!!

Guy

My name is Mike. I'm born and raised in NJ. My family is from Sicily. I'm married 14 years and have a 3yr. old daughter.

My first aquarium was set up in the summer of 1977 when I was 13. It was a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium that my parents bought for me at a local fish store. It had the traditional black, wrought iron stand, and inside box filter. In 1994, the 10 gallon aquarium was taken down and replaced with a 15 gallon high freshwater aquarium that sat on a DIY stand that a co-worker built for me. All the while that I had the freshwater aquarium, I had always wanted a saltwater aquarium. In November of 2003 I started to do a lot of research on saltwater tanks. After reading about nano aquariums, I used the existing 15 gallon high freshwater aquarium and made the switch to saltwater. Needless to say I was hooked. It was a FOWLR aquarium. After only 4 months, I had to get a larger tank. In April of 2004, I purchased a 50 gallon tank and started my first reef tank. I built the stand and skimmer for it. Now I'm in the middle of preparing to setup a 120g..again with a DIY wall unit and DIY skimmer. After the transfer of corals and fish to the 120, the 50g will be sold. Here's a picture of the stand and canopy I built for the 50g.

Attachments

• 100_0743.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 94
  • tank-1yr.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 112

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Great tanks Mike. I love the stand. What kind of lights to you run on the big tank now. That yellow leather looks great. I want to get one of those some day.

welcome to all the new reefers, god if took me long to catch up to this almost 1 1/2 hours reading this, welcome guys

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome To The Club Ed and Mike! :)

Nice looking setups. Hope you enjoy the club! ;D

Hello there,

Born again reefer here. Been out of the hobby for a few years and decided to get back in. Live in Nultey, NJ hopefully I can make the next meeting.

I have a tank cycling right now:

20gallon long
130 watts of PC
5 gallon HOB refugium

Included a pic of my old reef before it had an accident =( which made me give up the hobby for a few years. Hopefully i can get the new one to thrive like that one did.

Attachments

• 55_FullTank_004.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 114
C

concept3

Wassup Phil, and welcome. I'm sure with your accumulated and stored wealth of knowledge, you'll be back up in no time! Once a reefer, always a reefer. Look forward to seeing you in one of our meetings.

Hi!

New to the forum, new to SW, not new to aquaria - I've had fish off & on for a long time, and right now have (with my SO) a 72G FW live planted tank, and I just bought a 24g aquapod nano set up for SW.

to start it has about 15lb of Fiji live rock, a nice leather, a couple of snails, and a few hermit crabs. (I bought this set up already established). Went through a mini-cycle for the last week, and while ammonia's still a LITTLE high, the leather is looking much happier than he had when we first put him back in, he's all open & pretty. Been doing 10-20% water changes daily to manage the ammonia, everything else looks good for levels. Will be picking up a bunch more cleaning crew next week as well. This tank will be corals & inverts, mainly - possibly a small damsel or wrasse at some point but I'm in no hurry to put fish in it.

Of course, I want more LR, so I went out today and bought a small tank and 10# more live rock & live sand & set that up to cycle the LR until I'm sure it's cured ok to go into the nano. :) Looking at it, though, it's possible I might want even more LR once this is in place. this would be 25# in a 24g tank - and I have some interesting pieces - but I'll have to play with it and see how I want it to end up.

Live in South Jersey, lived here until the mid-'80s, left after HS for various ports of call and ended up back here with my family in tow in the mid '90s.

Always looking for good LFS - I did discover AllQuatics in Hamilton today, and I've heard good things about Hidden Reef over in NE Philly, so I'm hoping to check that out once their store is re-opened. I hit Aquarium Center in Clementon fairly regularly, and I'm also not above travel, and will head to Lancaster to That Fish Place without much thought. :)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi (insert name)!

4.gif

Welcome to the club! It's always good to see new faces!

Watch out putting that much rock in the 24g. When those corals start growing, they will fill it up pretty quickly. Which could lead to a tank upgrade...and no one wants that now, do they?? ;)

Enjoy the club!

Hi, my name's Matt, and I'm a reefer, er, reef adict! ;D

Seriously, hi all. Just joined last night. I am sure I have gotten advice from at least some of you during the past 3 months on reefcentral while I set up my first marine tank. I've had freshwater for years, but this is my first salt water. I'm hooked...

Currently:

55 gallon FOWLR - 2 tomato clowns, 1 peppermint shrimp, 12 teensie tinsie blue leg hermits
30 Gallon fresh - (1) 5 year old Discus who prefers to be a bachelorette (sp?) (She kills everything I put in there with her)
29 Gallon fresh - currently empty, probably going to be another south american tank, as my wife is partial to Discus, and if I wanna keep my saltwater habit, I gotta keep the wifey happy! ;D

I'm in southern NJ (cumberland county), and I'm a retail manager with 2 teenagers and a 14 month old, so unfortunately I have many things working against making too many meetings, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the club as much as I can!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Matt.  Glad you found us here!

2 Teensagers and a 14 month old  :eek: . . . . . I think you *need* to come to as many meeting as possible! ;)

hey there

new to the site, pretty new to reefing, 8 mos or so
live in Bradley Beach

started with a 30 long, switched to 55 for now

55 long, hang on refuge with miracle mud & mangroves, 70-80 lbs live rock, penguin 350 (no wheels) Berlin Turbo Skimmer, 7 power heads (4 MJ 900's, 3 MJ 1200's) - ehiem 2213 (only in-use from time to time)

Mimic Tang, Nemo, Coral Beauty, Firefish, Domino Damsel, striped damsel, Arrow crab, emerald crab, lettuce nudibranch, green bristle starfish, 4 various zoo rocks, 2 large mushroom rocks, sea hare nudibranch, some kind of hairy crab, decorator crab, mix of small amount of blue & red legged hermits & various snails

I know it's a pretty heavy bio-load but everything seems to be doing fine for 6 months now, will prob switch to 90 gal or so early next year

also have a 20 gal high eclipse thats just gonna be a seahorse tank for my 2 year old daughters room

glad to find this site, can't remember who but someone over at manhattanreefs pointed me in this direction