• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Name is Mike. Grew up in PA, moved around a bit now settled in north central NJ. I'm a 40 yr old operations director with a great wife and super 5 yr old son.

Been a member of the forum now for about all of 10 mins, but have been lurking reading as much as I can for a while now. Also just sent in my dues as I like to support any organization that I get involved with.

Never had any fish until my son won his first gold fish, promptly named goldie, at the local fair a few months ago. Then of course we got the pirate tank to go with it gaaaaaaaaar. While I never had any fish, I really enjoyed seeing other's tanks and watching them as a scuba diver.

About a month ago my son came to work for an event, and he saw one of my friend's salt water tanks. My son sat there for about 1/2 hr just watching it then kept wanting to go back. That helped me remember how much I always wanted one. So I've been reading every day and night, studying as much as I can.

We still have goldie but no tank yet for the salt water. It's too early yet for me to know exactly what I need or exactly which direction I want to go in. At first I thought sea horses would be cool, but it looks like the committment required there is more than I can sign up for right now - two feedings/day and other things.

I'm ultimately looking to go pretty much all fish with LR and then eventually, as I get a handle on what I'm doing, get some coral.

Sorry don't have much to contribute at this point, but am learning as much as I can. So thank you to everyone for sharing as much info as you have.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Mike! Keep lurking and learning and feel free to ask any questions that you may have. Everybody here is always ready and willing to help out.

Good luck!

Hello All,

My name is David and I have not had a SW tank since the Mid 90's. I am 42 and have been married for 23 yrs. I have 2 kids 18 and 21. I am currently in the Coast Guard stationed at Cape May, NJ.

I currently have a 55G tank set up in July with 50lbs of sand and 40lbs or so of LR. CPR wet/dry, 216w T-5 Nova Extreme Lighting. 2 T.Percula clowns, 1 Naso Tang and 2 yellow tail Damsels (Which are going back to LFS).

I am not a member yet, Still waiting to hear back about my application.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi David!

Welcome to the club! We have received your application and are currently processing your membership card. (Yes, you are a member! ;D )

You will find the club has lots of friendly people that are always willing to help. Try and make it to a meeting. We are having a great one this weekend at In Living Color.

Enjoy!

ReefDrumz said:
Hi David!

Welcome to the club! We have received your application and are currently processing your membership card. (Yes, you are a member!  ;D )

You will find the club has lots of friendly people that are always willing to help. Try and make it to a meeting. We are having a great one this weekend at In Living Color.

Enjoy!

Hope you received mine too. ??? Emailed in with payment on 11/1 but haven't heard anything. :(

It's about time i say hi to everyone...Just joined the club a week ago and been snooking around the sites ;D ;D ;D

Here's a link of my tank and info.
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/7920-my-72-gallon-tank-thread-d.html

tankwithcabinetcomplete.jpg

I'm from NY, just moved over to NJ a while ago, and getting ready to set up my 180 gallon tank ;D ;D Can't wait!

hello all--sorry i didnt intro myself sooner---
i'm steve--north brunswick, nj---have had salt water tanks on and off over the last 20 something years---started when i was in jr high---started with ' real ' salt water tanks---i would go down to shark river, collect water, sand, sein for animals and bring them home and put them in my 55 gal---at this time salt water fish were to expensive---so now, over the last few years i've had a 55 salt water tank---have a few fish . lr with some' button polyps? alot of bristle worms---have a 40 gal hex--7 fish, lr--nothing exciting--i'm in the planning stage of setting up a ' big ' tank---looking at something like 12x3x3---will be posting alot of questions on pumps, sumps, types of fish--etc--with all the knowledge within this group--setting up a ' big ' tank should'nt be that difficult---
will try to get to some of these meetings that you guys/girls have--would like to meet some other ' reefers '
till my next post---
steve

Welcome to all the new members! I haven't checked this thread in a while; shame on me!

It's great to see the club growing as fast as Merv's frags do!!! ;D

Hi everyone!
I just joined to club today and I am looking forward to meeting all you people!

My name is Ukjin, (yes, its Korean), and I live in Fort Lee.  I am a professional classical musician who plays cello.  I have been in to reefing for awhile and been to almost every store in our area.  I am actually very excited about joining this club and hope to learn lot from you guys!

I have Oceanic 30G Cube SPS only tank.  I run 250W MH and PC supplementation on custom made pendent.  I use H&S skimmer and I am running out of room!!!  For the flow, I have 1200 GPH Iwaki going thru Oceans Motions Squirt, 500GPH Panworld from sump and 2 Tunze Nano Streams totalling about 2900 GPH.

Here is latest FTS, (sorry, I have no picture taking skill!)
fts08.jpg

Here is pic of my custom pendent
paint.jpg

paint3.jpg

Here is tank before being filled up to show little bit of plumbing..
plumb03.jpg

Thanks and I hope to meet all you soon!

C

concept3

anye-ho-seyo (sp?)

hey oogie!  welcome to the club!  I have a few things to learn from you myself, that's a nice cube!  WOW!  you got wicked flow in there-  looking forward to meeting you in person-  My former egi-ya (or was it chagi-ya?) was Korean, and I loved going to her parent's place to visit, love the food!

welcome again!

-Merv

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Welcome to the Club. Nice tank. I love Kraby and Kim-chee Can't spell. Do you know any good Korean BBQ or sushi places up by Fort Lee.

Well I just wanted to say HI! I was the president of SJMRC but we are all one now... Since we have merged with NJ Reefers Club.. Can't wait to see you guys at your next meeting... I live in South Jersey, Cherry Hill ..... I will post some pics of my tank in the near future!! You should see more faces posting soon.. :)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Billy! I would like to an extend a big welcome to you and the members of SJMRC!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Billy and the entire SJMRC! We're happy to have you all aboard!

wow so much new people, ;D welcome to all the new member and i hope everyone enjoy the club, everybody here is really friendly and a lot of knowledge around

Gabe

p.s.
i have to check this thread more often