• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hello all! New to this club...born , raised NYC, long time nj resident with breaks for college, navy. Old cichlid fan and finally decided to try marine 3 years ago. Started with a 50 gallon,then 75 gallon reef ready now Red Sea reefer 450 and loving the system and its features. Thank you John from ACC for your support. Now developing new system mixed reef with sps, softies and lps (soon). Hope to get to a meeting soon .

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hello all! New to this club...born , raised NYC, long time nj resident with breaks for college, navy. Old cichlid fan and finally decided to try marine 3 years ago. Started with a 50 gallon,then 75 gallon reef ready now Red Sea reefer 450 and loving the system and its features. Thank you John from ACC for your support. Now developing new system mixed reef with sps, softies and lps (soon). Hope to get to a meeting soon .
Welcome!!!

Hello,
My name is Mark Shelly. I was born and raised in New Mexico, but went into the Army after high school and graduated as a Mechanical Engineer from Rutgers. There were 2 jobs I thought would be the best possible jobs. One was building mechanical dinosaurs. The other was building fish tanks, like public aquarium size. I loved dinosaurs and fish, and had had freshwater aquariums. I remember seeing a huge saltwater rimless tank in a store in Manalapan (back in the early 80s). It had a protein skimmer tube built in which allowed it to be well stocked. The engineer in me thought the design was great and wanted to know how it was constructed, and why it worked. But I felt large aquariums would be few and far between and not conducive to family life so I got a real job.
The fish fan wanted my own saltwater tank, but my house was not really conducive to it with my kids around.
Everywhere I went I would stop in at aquariums and see something new, such as blue lobsters in Mystic or a surround shark tank in Baltimore, or the visible filtration system at Jenkinson's. When my kids moved out, I figured it would be a great time for a 6 foot tank on my lowest level concrete floor. But 1.5 to 2 hour commutes put that on hold. Grand children now use that space for a play room and probably will for a few more years. So I finally decided that there would never be a perfect time and got the biggest tank I could fit in a deck cubbyhole and got started, slowly. My current tank is a 65 gallon tank. I am using it to learn more about reefs as it contains soft and hard corals, fish, shrimp, crabs and the stuff hard to see. I find the little items interesting in a microscope. I often look into the tank with a magnifying glass or with a UV or red light at night. The tank requires a lot of work (weekly water changes and cleaning) as nothing is automated. But, it doesn't matter how much you read, you need to experience copepods, worms, diatoms, cyanobacteria, fish, algae, corals (fish disease, which I have avoided so far) and you own mistakes to let you begin to understand what you read. I still don't understand PH and alkalinity enough yet.
Purple is my favorite color so an Orchid Dottyback and a Royal Gramma were my most desired fish. For some reason, I don't have the interest in sps corals others have, although I suspect that it is contagious.

Not to break the bank/pocketbook -but check out the helfrichi firefish, and once the tank every gets bigger - the purple tang. Welcome aboard!
It is pretty nice, but I probably would have had to have added it first. Tropiquarium has a nice purple tile fish, but it would be too big. I kind of like the idea of keeping more small fish in a large aquarium with lots of hiding places so I can pair the fish up but keep it peaceful.

Hello all, name is Charles & I reside in Jackson, NJ. I had freshwater fish as a kid growing up in Ohio in the early 70's & later tried saltwater around '86. Had a 125 & knew nothing about RO water. Made salt water using tap water. No wonder constant ich & death. This was back in the dolomite days, Eheims, etc. Disaster!!! Fast forward to 2-3 yrs. ago & I started back up w/ a 55 first using RO water. Aha-all the difference in the world! Graduated to a 90 tall, then a 125 that I had & finally to a 210. I actually had the 210 from when I had fresh water around 6 yrs. ago. Anyhow I have a FOWLR. Using a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer, 40 gallon sump w/ refugium, T-5's but switching over to LED, UV, titanium heaters w/ controllers, deep sand bed (for 6" red coris wrasse) , (2) Aquaclear 110's which I place Chemipure & PhosBan in beside the usual & quite a bit of live rock. Other inhabitants: several tangs, Koran angel, fox face (2), rabbits, yellow coris wrasse, juvie dragon wrasse, juvie red coris wrasse, maroon clowns, perculas & others I cannot think of. Now you see why I had to upgrade. All is going pretty well & I'm about as hooked as you can be. Looking forward to gaining a lot of insight here & participating. Thanks.

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hello all, name is Charles & I reside in Jackson, NJ. I had freshwater fish as a kid growing up in Ohio in the early 70's & later tried saltwater around '86. Had a 125 & knew nothing about RO water. Made salt water using tap water. No wonder constant ich & death. This was back in the dolomite days, Eheims, etc. Disaster!!! Fast forward to 2-3 yrs. ago & I started back up w/ a 55 first using RO water. Aha-all the difference in the world! Graduated to a 90 tall, then a 125 that I had & finally to a 210. I actually had the 210 from when I had fresh water around 6 yrs. ago. Anyhow I have a FOWLR. Using a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer, 40 gallon sump w/ refugium, T-5's but switching over to LED, UV, titanium heaters w/ controllers, deep sand bed (for 6" red coris wrasse) , (2) Aquaclear 110's which I place Chemipure & PhosBan in beside the usual & quite a bit of live rock. Other inhabitants: several tangs, Koran angel, fox face (2), rabbits, yellow coris wrasse, juvie dragon wrasse, juvie red coris wrasse, maroon clowns, perculas & others I cannot think of. Now you see why I had to upgrade. All is going pretty well & I'm about as hooked as you can be. Looking forward to gaining a lot of insight here & participating. Thanks.
Welcome to the club!!!

Welcome to the club Charles. I am in a Washington Township.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor

Welcome to the club