• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What can you tell me about the ETSS Super Reef Devil Protein Skimmer

Got this skimmer from a co-worker for free, he only used it for couple of months before he quitted the hobby, any inputs will be appreciated.
ETSS Super Reef Devil.jpg

I owned one of these for yrs. I ran it externally with a iwaki 20rlt. This thing kicked a$$. I ordered replacement mini bio balls instead cleaning the one in the chamber. I believe I was running 9 mini bio balls. Definitely a great skimmer but not cost effective to run.

It's an awesome skimmer just takes one hell of pump to run it. Only down side is cleaning those bio balls can be a PITA

Thanks for the input and that's what I was thinking about the bioballs....any way I don't think I'll have to clean them very often....best part it's free and compared to the skimmer I have running now (Seaclone) I guess it is way better.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using Tapatalk 2

It's a "downdraft" design so it doesn't run off a needle-wheel skimmer, and ETSS is one of the better makers. Using a regular pump impeller gives maximum $ efficiency. It saves money and can be run harder and skim harder. The downdraft is mostly used these days for larger systems and/or higher load medium sized systems. We use a downdraft also.

Did he give you a pump for it?

It's a "downdraft" design so it doesn't run off a needle-wheel skimmer, and ETSS is one of the better makers. Using a regular pump impeller gives maximum $ efficiency. It saves money and can be run harder and skim harder. The downdraft is mostly used these days for larger systems and/or higher load medium sized systems. We use a downdraft also.

Did he give you a pump for it?

He forgot to bring me the pump but he told me is the stock pump, have to wait untill Monday....just hopingt it is a mag 7.....as per the coments I've seen is the best pump for this skimmer.

I owned one of these for yrs. I ran it externally with a iwaki 20rlt. This thing kicked a$$. I ordered replacement mini bio balls instead cleaning the one in the chamber. I believe I was running 9 mini bio balls. Definitely a great skimmer but not cost effective to run.

Jose, how often did you repleace the mini bio balls and what tank size were you running the skimmer?.....if I want to buy more bio balls can I find them just by searching mini bio balls?

I'm not aware of having to replace the bio balls on an ETSS. They should be cleaned periodically. There purpose is to create bubbling.

I'm not aware of having to replace the bio balls on an ETSS. They should be cleaned periodically. There purpose is to create bubbling.

Dave I just replace the old mini bio balls instead if cleaning them. They cost about $10 for 1/2 gal bag. For me it was just easier.

He forgot to bring me the pump but he told me is the stock pump, have to wait untill Monday....just hopingt it is a mag 7.....as per the coments I've seen is the best pump for this skimmer.

Got the pump, it's a Rio 2500.

I wonder if you still have the ETSS skimmer. I do .
I do not recall if I have ever seen or placed mini bioballs in it. I do not see any in the black downtube now. I have had it for YEARS!!
I note above that a Rio 2500 pump ( >700 gph) was used. I have been using a Danner/Supreme mag drive 500gph pump. Is this enough? and where can I get minibioballs?