• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do I really need in a 40?

Years ago, 1990's - 2000 I was an out of control reefer with a 75g and a sump room with multiple grow out tanks. All in all, had about 350 gallons running through the system. You name it, I had it. ETS Skimmers, Metal Halide, VHO, Calcium Reactors, Chiller... I'd spend every waking moment tinkering with that system. I spent more time in the sump room than I did actually enjoying the main tank, but that's because I enjoyed making frags and bringing them around the local shops to have them sell them for me. When I shut that system down, my electric bill went down 175.00/ month.

After years of not having a tank, going to build a new one.

This week, all new guts' for the old SpectraPure RO/DI. Turned my 25gpd into a 90gpd 99% purity system. I started a rock curing plant out of two old BRUTE garbage cans, a Bermuda BPS-3c and some Ehiem pumps I still had. Still have an ICECAP 660 with T5's thinking just to get things started inside the cans... Going to have a lot more rock then I'm going to need so if someone would like a few pounds of cured rock in a few weeks time, shout out... maybe we could swap out some rock for some coral frags. (Getting ahead of myself)

Thinking I'd like to keep this as simple as possible and with all the new equipment these days, seems it's plausible.

Innovative Marine 40 - Stock Return pump.
Ecotech Radion xr15wPro
VorTech MD10
Finnex 150 Titanium Heater(s)
Hydrofil Ti - ATO

and that's it... no protein skimmer, no reactor chambers, maybe do some macro algae sections and maintain water parameters with water changes.

Haven't thought through inhabitants yet, thinking a few softs, LPS, but who knows small frags of SPS could easily find it's way.

I guess I'm wondering, with the new LED's and the VorTech outside the tank motor is an over heating tank still a problem these days? The ATO's these days seem amazing for keeping water levels consistent. Much better than the old float valve, hooked up to a few gallons of fresh RO/DI.

Really getting ahead of myself, calcium level and alk maintenance???? ESV 2-Part I'm assuming maybe a little bit of Kalk????

Dosing pumps look awesome, but not sure I could run them in a sumpless system.

Thoughts / Suggestions

Thanks Mike

You've pretty much got it figured out... LED wise AI and Kessil make great units for that size tank. As far as overheating it's no longer an issue compared to the old m.h. day.

Having second thoughts on the IM40... I don't have huge hands but I reading a few threads that cleaning that overflow/sump area is quite tough... Back to overflow and sump