• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB Metal Stand

Looking for a metal stand to stack x2 40 gallon breeder tanks. Does anyone know any off the shelf options from like costco/home depot? I've been reading there is a shelf that was a perfect fit but was discontinued several years ago.. just trying to see what my options are before I go shopping. Not really the crafty type/nor do I have the equipment to build one unfortunately.

Thanks!

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Edsal racking system is what you're looking for. I used one on my 57 gallon tank before and honestly one of the reasons I decided to upgrade sooner than later. They rust pretty quickly due to salt water. I wouldn't suggest them at all unless its for temporary reasons.

Any idea where I can pick one up in stores? All the online reviews say they get pretty banged up from shipping..

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
home depot or lowes should have them. i picked mine up from lowes like 2 years ago.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you go with the lowes/hd version. Be forewarned. That thin aluminum brace is very flimsy and can rack very easily. And in addition the particle board that comes with it is like .5 inch and flimsy as well and might give with that weight. I have tools on mine and it’s already sagging in the middle.
I suggest avoiding it all together. But if you must at least replace the board with 1/2 or 3/4 plywood and brace the stand with a long board from left to right to prevent racking.

The one I was interested said the total weight capacity was 4000lbs, with each shelf rated for 800lbs. 40 gallon breeder average 500lbs? Should be okay right? I was reading because its a perfect fit, most of the weight sits on the brackets, not the wood itself.. not sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-23-15-34-34.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-23-15-34-34.png
    368.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2018-02-23-15-34-40.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-23-15-34-40.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 4

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Going for experience and like Edwin has said, I wouldn't trust those numbers. I would only use them for temporary situations, not as permanent solution for a stand. They rust easily due to the saltwater and all the structure is held on by rivets.

What if I said this was for freshwater tanks (sorry). Would the rust be as concerning? Might have to try to build one then.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
What if I said this was for freshwater tanks (sorry). Would the rust be as concerning? Might have to try to build one then.

might be less concerning, I've seen freshwater hobbiest use these a lot so it might not be that bad. Salt creep on these and the rust on the rivets were a concern for me.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Like judeo. Said. I wouldn’t trust the numbers and given the constant load. I don’t think it matters. The weight of either one will concern me over time and u can literally tip the whole thing over from the side.

I don’t trust these things for tanks.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
1++

I think the weight capacity may be assuming that the unit stays dry and in a de-humidified environment.