• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zip’s 90 – ver.2.0

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I’ve decided it’s time to put my other tale of the tank to rest since it referenced a sunroom that is no longer relevant, so this is, as it is titled, Zip’s 90 – ver.2.0
For the purposes of setup I’m focusing on the changes and I’ll fill in with the carry over stuff as I bring it on line.
So here’s the story, the tank was about 2 years old when we moved. I really went back and forth between keeping the tank and selling it as the notion that we were selling our house materialized. The move was, itself, odd to say the least. We are literally across the street from our old house. If I look out my front door I can see the side of the sunroom that housed the tank. Anyway, we listed our house and it sold in less than 2 weeks – with a closing only 4 weeks after that. I never thought that I’d be trying to break the tank down and sell it off in 3-4 weeks. I tried but that’s just not enough time unless you plan to dump everything and since I had no intention of getting out I didn’t want to dump and run. I thought it would be easier to put the cash aside and after things settled from the move and changes to the house it would be a welcome distraction to start from scratch. So once it became clear that I couldn’t sell it quickly I began the scramble to move it knowing that I was on my own. We moved the Friday of Labor Day weekend so needless to say all those neighbors that are always around to help in exchange for beer – all were on vacation or taking their kids to college.
Fortunately I was able to borrow a stock tank (thanks Jose) which I’ve had FAR too long, by the way (sorry Jose) and I was able to move all the livestock in there a couple days before the move – that whole rig was then moved to a mutual neighbor’s garage to wait until after we had access to the new place. Transportation was accomplished by putting everything in various drums and buckets and using a small 5’x8’ utility trailer towed by a friend’s lawn tractor. It was a sight. That process went smoothly and at that point I lost only 1 fish – a casualty of breaking the tank down to the stock tank.
Skipping ahead, the stock tank is in the basement of the new place and the tank and stand (which barely fit down the stairs – one of the movers said one more coat of paint and it wasn’t getting down…) are in place and leveled.
Basement had to start getting "reef ready". Step 1: move water making out of the driveway and into the basement. There is no plumbing down there - just access to the supply lines for utilities so a first step was setting up a place to hook up my RO/Di. (I rather enjoy sweating copper, especially with my buddy’s acetylene torch)
Step 2. Run lines for ATO - I'll borrow this to do the initial tank fill up
Step 3: break down the 40b sump to reconfigure from a split drain with a center return to a drain/skimmer- fuge - return set up. Notable changes were a larger drain to better accommodate my skimmer
Step 4 was plumbing. This and the fuge are the biggest changes. I am going from a mag 9 to a 24 with a manifold to manage all my reactors and such. I did 5 1/2" murloc fittings. That should cover bio pellets and GAC and if I go back to GFO plus some fuge flow and a player to bd named later. That eliminates 4 MJ12s.
I'm going to try done tapatalk pics to show the sump and plumbing.
e5e3amys.jpg
aqybevu6.jpg
a2e4a4ed.jpg
yqute2e4.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Nice start. Moves suck but I think you will be happy you stayed in

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking go so far Dave. The manifold looks great and gives you easy access to hook up and turn the valves. Simple and very functional.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks George and Mnat -- I wouldn't have bailed. Just a hiatus. My wife's already complaining about the basement paneling and the carpet (which is 36+ years old) makes her throat itch so it's only gonna be up a year or so and I've gotta do this again. Hopefully I can upgrade then.
Why do this take so long?

SO SLOW...
7ahahe4u.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's probably cold(er) in the basement, which is not optimal for a RODI. Any way you can insulate the water piping that it's connected to? It might help (if not today, but for future use at least.)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
It comes off the water heater supply which is pretty warm. Residual heat travels up the line about 2/3 feet at I cut the tee in about 14" from the water heater. That travels about 3' to the filter but it's in the utility area and the older 80% heaters cook that little room. It's probably outputting about 2g/hr down from 3 when it goes right from the last canister to the ATO drum. This has to travel up to the ceiling and over to the tank. Undoubtably that path is slowing things. I'm just too lazy to do buckets and walk the over.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Opinions please
Given I expect to break down somewhere between 12-18 months for renovations I'm having second thoughts on adding sand. I have 4 bags of Fiji Pink Arag-alive ready to go in.
ty9ebamy.jpg
When I broke down for the sand was by far the hardest part and now I can't siphon it out the window. What's pulling me back is a pistol/goby pair, a mandarin and some other little critters that like sand. I feel like anything that survived the move and the ICU deserves a decent home
Thoughts? Sand or no sand - for now

I agree with you if they survived the move give them a place to go.the mandarin would be fine without it as long as there is enough going on in the rest if the tank. The pistol/goby, not so sure.

Looks like your coming along Dave. That's the reason why I did sand. I wanted a pistol and a goby pair And a mandarin. I went with the exact same sand you have their.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Yeah Jose I agree with you - I definitely want sand long term. I'm just trying to see if I should try something other than putting all 4 bags in the DT -- like maybe just 2 in the fuge and have the pair live down there for now

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
First flood of ver.2.0. The mag24 moves a LOT of water. I thought what a great way to help mix up the NSW and ran a piece of 1/2" line if a spot on the manifold and neatly tucked the line into some pipes to blow on the bottom of the sump and get some salt that settled. I think all total I was at 50 cups of salinity. Well at some point the hose popped out and back in. It would have been a mystery - water EVERYWHERE like someone sprayed it down with a hose (which is more or less what happened). Top of the stand was dry and the way the underside was dripping that had to be it. Looks like 4 gallons dumped.
Doh!!
Thank you mr shop-vac and your twin cousins mss dehumidifier

You can keep the pistol & goby in a less-than-deep sand bed, but I do think they need it.
I would go light on the sand, they will be OK in 1".
The goby would probably be OK without the sand, but I would worry about the pistol.
The only other thing you could consider is an itty bitty nano with a sand bed plumed into the DT, or a sand bed in a fuge with the pistol & goby living there.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks Nikki. I thought about the fuge and there's already a clown that lives there b/c the GSMC doesn't like to share with other lady-clowns (although I'm thinking of introducing the perc first Ruth a new rock scape, maybe it would work) anyway I know it not permanent but I'm not sure I want that much in the sump. A nano I'd am interesting idea I hadn't thought of. How difficult is that to plumb in?

I need to make a decision soon. I'd very much like to get Jose's stock tank returned and the sand decision is a major hold up.

...but I want to carefully think thru the transfer. I filled the tank with NSW it was my best option for making that volume of water but I need a transfer plan to deal with avoiding a cycle. I thought I would use water displaced by sand + about 15g for a water change in the stock tank. Then I would use the discarded water to replace the +15 plus ergs sand I thought would jump start. Then 5-10 gallon water swaps over the next few days with 1-2 large base- rocks on day 3 or 4. If everything tests ok, do a 15-20% water swap moving the rock scape and fish. I think coral all that's left is my green hammer - first I started with thanks to George - and some leathers there may be find palys and zoas left but not many. The rat will go in on a frag rack or 2 and given a couple weeks to see if there's any life left. And 1 of 4 RBTAs left is barely hanging on. May be too far gone. I started feeding it mahi mahi - has a frozen piece and the vacuum seal was compromised so it was too freezer- burned for my liking. The nem doesn't seem to care.

I have seen a couple tanks where the tank owner created a sand pool and kept the rest bare.....which you could adapt to just very thin layer of sand with a deeper sand pool for the pair.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I thought if that. Issue is my GSMC LOVES to dance and shake her booty in the sand. Unless I have a high sided pool I think she'll make sure it's evenly distributed

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Sands in and clearing up nicely but I think I need a few more bags so that'll delay me a bit.

I did a couple tests. Nitrates are at 2.0 and Ammonia was at 0. I used 4 bags of CaribSea Fiji pink and 2 bottles of bio-spira. I'll add some rock that's free of anything important and give a boost to that process

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
2 more bags of sand. Makes for 120 lbs. I started moving rock from. The stock tank. set back now is my Red Sea nitrate kit's solution A is clogged. Ammonia is ok but I need to get a nitrate test